1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

A friend of mine has seen my crabitats, and wants to set one of his own up. The problem is his dad is being kind of a pain and doesn't want to pay the electric bill of running an UTH. Does anyone know of any possible method to heat a 10g crabitat without an electric UTH or light? his room is usually between 67 - 72, and you figure itll be a couple degrees warmer inside the tank. Any opinions?? I know its a weird question but he wants to get some hermies if its possible to work out. Thanks

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

it doesnt cost alot to run a UTH you can see that I think on the label. There really is no other way to SAFELY keep the tank warm unless he can put it near a heat vent--that would have to really be monitored though

3. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

Alright, I'll let him know, the convincing will have to be his problem, I did my part! LOL :) thanks for replying

4. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I was wondering if you two could help me. I'm trying to heat the 29 gallon tank and I have two uth's going. It is still not warm enough for the straws. Is there anything else I can do to warm it up in there? How many uth's can one tank handle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

I wouldn't run more than two personally just to be on the safe side. Something that I did that you may or may not want to try is I have a portable room heater and it indeed warms up the room quite nicely. It costs more to run than an UTH, but with two UTH you may be able to make up the difference in cost with one room heater. Just a thought! :)

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

flukers combo light!!!!!!

7. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I think a space heater is a better idea. If I put a light on tio of the crabitat it will dry out the moss pits and reduce the humidity. Besides, those silly straws like nothing better than to sleep in the highest point of the tank. No burying for them! Thank you both for your input.

8. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

well i dont have strawberries but i do have a 29 gallon tank and i have 2 UTH and one light and that keeps it around 78 if i add one more light it would keep it around 80 or higher. The only problem i have had with using the light is to much humidity, so i wouldnt worry about not having enough. Half of my tank is sand and the other half is EE. I just spray down the sand about once a week and its up around 84% and my PP's and E's seem to like it.

9. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

I am glad everyone is talking about this because I had some questions. I changed my tank. I was using a 5 gallon tank (I only have one hermit crab, had two, one recently died). I was able to easily keep the humidity and temp perfect. But I deceided to switch them to the only other tank I had which is a either a 20 or 25(???) gallon tank.

Anyway, I am really struggling with the heat and humidity. I have only been able to get it to about 70-75 degrees and the humidity to about 60-65%. I mist it constitantly and have two pretty good size water bowls in there. I have the tank on a heating pad, which is what i had been using all along and it does not seem to be cutting it this time. I am using play sand on the bottom.

Are those numbers good enough for my friend or do I need the humidity higher and it warmer??? He did seem more active when I had the smaller tank.

10. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

My PP's and E's like the temp around 78-80 and the humidity 80-84%. I had it lower but they werent that active, so now its higher i have a trashed tank every morning. I would raise both but your humidity is pretty low that needs to come up.

11. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

definitely raise the humidity, I keep my tanks at 80% humidity. 75°F is not bad for temperature, that is typiclly the temp in my tanks, but you can bring it up a little higher than that with no complaints. ;)
    Also, you probably already know this, but you should get your friend another friend( or 2 or 3 since you have a bigger tank now) to keep him company.

12. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

Thank you for the reply's. So this is where my tank stands now. I have finally managed to raise the temp to a good 80 degrees (consistant), the humidity is still a challenge for me it keeps dropping to 60% . I have added quite a bit of water to the sand and mist constantly. Does everyone have such a hard time keeping humidity consistant?? ANy tips to keep it up. I will get it to 80% or so, it will stay like that a couple hours. I go to work, come home and it is back down to 60 (or even lower sometimes).

13. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

how much does a heating pad usually cost for a tank? or can you use a normal heating pad? (worries about overheating)

14. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

I had a problem similar to yours, hotball, with the humidity in my old 55 gallon. Since I moved and reset up my 'tats, I haven't had problems. I did have the top saran wrapped but not very well. Actually, someone else in my house offered to do the saran wrapping since they are better at crafts and such so now the wrap is tight and secure and not loose/wavy. That might have had something to do with my humidity always droppping like yours is. lots of holes or spots for it to escape when not wrapped right. You couldl even get a pexiglass top to avoid even that chaos lol :) I didn't read what kind of lid you have, but try the wrap (leave a small section open for air flow) if you don't have it yet. Or try picking up a pexiglass lid someplace I'm actually not sure where to get those cuz I don't use them lol but someone else can help you on that one!

15. courtastic

courtastic Hi, I'm New Here!

uths run $10-20 and up for larger sizes
    you couldn't use a normal heating pad because they aren't supposed to be on for more than a few hours at a time, and if they are they burn out

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

Did you calibrate your humidity gauge? It could be off. Heres how to do that.
    It's good to make sure your gauges are reading correctly. Here's how!
    1. Get 2 heavy duty zip lock baggies.
    2. table salt
    3. small container for salt( 2 liter soda bottle top for example)

Put the salt in the container. Put a few drops of water onto the salt, just to moisten the salt. Then place the container inside the baggie. Now place the gauge in the baggie. Make sure you have this in a spot somewhere that no small kids can get to or that it can be knocked over. Wait between 4-6 hours. When you check it after that amount of time, look in the bag without opening it.Your gauge should be reading 75%. If it IS NOT, then thats how much your gauge is off by. To fix this you can get a small screwdriver and turn the screw on the gauge. If it's off by 7%(68%) then turn it so it reads 7% higher.

17. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

thanks. my boyfriend's mom was talking about getting me one, and she wanted to get a regular pad. I told her I was very unsure of that... thanks :D

We're out today to get a top and a heating pad for the tank ;)

18. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I agree about the humidity guages, expecially if they are analog. I have the cheap digital dual guages from Walmart and they are working well for me thus far. I used to use the dial type, or analog and they were almost always incorrect fresh out of the package.

Some other things to consider when trying to get heat and humidity into the right ranges are if your using lighting on your tank, as they all should. Herm suggested the combo light, which are AWESOME. They have a fluoresent bulb, and two incandesent sockets for dayglo/nightglo type bulbs. The only drawback I've found to using incandesent lighting for heat is it can be a killer on humidity while keeping the tank warm during the winter. It is better to use either a tempered glass top or a screen top that has the open areas of the screen sealed for incandesent. The best top I've seen yet was made from plexiglass and had cutouts with strong screen covers for the lights to set on. The heat from incandesent lights can crack normal glass after a while if placed on or too close. Your also going to end up buying quite a few bulbs to find which wattage works for you, and it depends on a few factors like the height and size of your tank. I spoke to the store manager when buying for mine and let them know what I was doing and asked if I could purchase a variety of bulbs and return those that were too strong/weak for my needs. Since they were only going to be run for about 8 hours she agreed.

With lighting you can incorporate proper day/night cycles, heat, and uvb rays. A thing to remember is that uvb really doesnt pass through glass, and even screen reduces the number of rays passing through. Uvb and uva bulbs should be kept out of the crabs reach though. Most incandesent full spectrum bulbs are only full spectrum uva. You can get coiled flouresent bulbs that have an incandesent light screw that contain both uva, and uvb. The fluoresent bulbs commonly called repti-glos with a number behind them (2.0, 5.0, 8.0 etc) have uvb and uva rays. The number corresponds with the amount of uvb that the bulb puts off. The higher the number, the more uvb emitted. 8.0 is commonly used for desert reptiles, while 2.0 or 5.0 are for more forest dwelling creatures. Fluoresent bulbs really don't do alot for heating the tank though.

Under tank heaters can be helpful since they will heat the tank and not reduce the humidity like lights can. I do not like to use them because if they are turned off in the summer time due to rising temps, crabs can choose to bury over them. While buried and molting a crab cannot escape the heat of a uth that has been plugged back in and may overheat and pass. I've also read alot of complaints that proper size uth's have a small problem heating the tank through the cooler winter months.

A wonderful tool in keeping your humidity high is not only to have your top mostly covered but are "do it yourself humidifiers." I am using small plastic single serving juice bottles that have a narrow neck. You can use small vases too. Since I used a plastic bottle with a plastic cap I kept the cap and made holes in it large enough for the hoses but not large enough for the crabs to get into. You need a small air pump, those made for ten gallon fishtanks do nicely. Get a small airstone that will fit down inside of your container, connect it to the hose, and connect the hose to the outlet of the airpump. Voila! you have a small humidifier. Just be sure the top is too small for your crabs to get into or that you have it covered so that they can't get down inside and not be able to get back up.

19. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

If i was you hot ball try putting a damp towel on top of your tank aswell as the lid it will help hold more of the heat in and as for your humidity problem try putting a wet sponge in there or if you can with your water dish put it as deep into the sand on whatever side your heaters on and if that doesnt raise it then try both along with misting the tank i had the same problem for a few days when i first got my 25g another thing you can do to hold more heat in is wrap a towel around three of the side and tape it on for extra insulation and put a towel undernieth your tank because if your dresser or table is cold thats gunna bring some of the temperature down in the tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.