1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat ideas!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mrs.Crabs, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

O.k everyone...this is it. I will be investing on my tank heater this week for sure. They have been pretty good so far since the tank sits right in front of our baseboard heater......but I want to get something before it starts to get chilly at night. So I have looked into those heat pad things...I figure it may be enough...but I also saw this rock heater that just sits in the tank(anyone know anything about this?) also....I know most of you have the lid thing with the lights...but I'm a tad afraid of leaving it run 24/7....and I also heard the lights tend to dry up the place. also...how important is it for them to get direct sunlight? or is just light that comes in from my patio door enough.(it's not right on it's just regular day light) O.k...now it's all up to you guys to give me the best advice....Thanks

2. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

I just bought a hood light combo from the Crabbage Patch. She has 3 left. I recommend calling Tammy to talk to her about what products she recommends.
    I had tried the little UTH and that did not generate enough heat to suit me. I kept feeling as if they were too cold. Now, I have a day light and a moon light for them, and it keeps it 75. I'll have to keep an eye on the humidity, and give it a squirt everyday.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I use a large tropical uth also a small reptile uth but I put the small one on the side outside the tank. Kind of up so the little crabbies wont burn their little leggies . I always feel the side inside of the tank and It doesnt ever seem to be too hot to burn though. I'm also going to thin out the substrate that the large under tank heater is. I have a wood burning stove in my kitchen but by the time I walk back to the tat in the vacant spare bedroom it is a little chilly but the heaters keep the tank around 77 78 degree's. I Dont know about the light but the bedroom has no drapes. They get light but not direct light.

4. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

Thanks guys.....keep the info coming..I'm getting inspired.. :kellie: anyone ever hear of the rock heater...It's a cement/like rock that you put in the tank to keep it warm...they say it's for lizards...but...anyone have or heard of one?...I saw them on ebay.

5. KrabKeeper

KrabKeeper (Micro Crab)

I have one of those heater rocks. It was used for a tarantula. I did an experiment and the thing kept a 10 gallon pretty warm. I do not have a temp, gauge though, so not too sure on the exact temp.

6. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

and it is dangerous for them...how hot do they get? are they waterproof? Can I put it in the large pool I made for them?(the water tends to get chilly in there)

7. KrabKeeper

KrabKeeper (Micro Crab)

I have never used it for hermit crabs, sorry. I just own one.

8. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

I was just about to bid on one of those rock heaters....they have a 5W, 10W and 15W....which is best for my 32G tank.

9. imported_NotaMallard

imported_NotaMallard "Preparing For First Molt"

DO NOT get a rock heater! These are dangerous! They are very prone to overheating and burning animals. I would never use these for any animals, and they are looked down on in the reptile community for frequently burning animals. Also, they are not waterproof and humidity might make them even more easily overheated. I don't even know why they sell those :shhhh: things.

10. heidi

heidi "Never Molted"

just got a ZOO MED RAPTI THERM U.T.H. UNDER TANK HEATER they come in many sizes i also cover the tank with a blanket to keep up heat and humidity,i take the blanket off a few hours a nite i also just heard of making a foam (you know in craft stores it comes in all colors and sheets also different cut outs) any way i gess you can make a cover with this foam to keep in the heat for me and the crab gang live in new york and love the heat but the heat bill dose not love us im trying new ideas also
    oh yes by the way the night light helps with humidity the day light drys out tank verry fast i do not use the light that much unless someone is in the iso tank

11. dotsnspots25

dotsnspots25 "First Molt In Progress"

Hey Heidi, I was looking into that one at Petco the other day but became wary with all the warnings about water dish placement, pad air circulation needs and the need to pernamently affix it to the tank. Where did you place yours? Did you have to elevate the tank to accomodate it? What size tank do you have?
    Thanks!!
    K

12. jsrtist

jsrtist "First Molt In Progress"

I agree about the heat rocks. I've read more than one story of reptiles being burned on those.

I have a heat lamp and two undertank heaters on my 60 gallon. I have them all attached to a rheostat to regulate the temperature. Does anyone else use one? I love it and have had it for a couple years now. You can adjust it like a thermostat. I leave mine on about 75 all the time.

I have the heat lamp sitting on a screen at one end of the tank. I have two 8x8 UTH, one in the middle and one on the side. I have rocks covering both of them so no crabs can come into contact with the hot glass. My tank has various patches of warm and cool spots. At the moment, a small E is sleeping near the heat lamp. I also have my water dishes near the heat lamp so they stay warm but not hot.

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

dotsnspots, If you put maybe folded up pieces of cardboard under each end of the tank it will elavate the tank enough to put the uth under your tank. But if you have more that 3in. of substrate in your tank it will heat the substrate but it does'nt heat the air very much. I also have a tropical uth which is bigger, also it does not get as hot as the desert uth. A desert uth can do what a heat lamp does and remove the humidity out of the air . You have to keep your substrate moist at all times. I have a small uth on the side of the tank to add degree to the tank. But that also removes humidity. Also a heating pad taped to the back of the tank. I believe all uths are removable and can be reused.

14. heidi

heidi "Never Molted"

sorry took so long to ancer work,holidays ect i have a 29 gal tall tank have heater under tank on one side and water on the other have not had any trubble with my heater as long as we dont loose elec. live in the nort east new york then i use a strofoam cooler with hot hands wraped in washclothes hermies sit on them and stay warm till generator gets up and going or elec comes back on hope you find something you like and happy holidays

15. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

Merry Christmas to you to, Heidi! :full:

16. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

meh, late i know but here is my 2cents

I absolutely HATE any type of UTH or Heating pad, they just dont seem to do it for me or my crabs.

I like using heating lamps

17. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I was having problems with my UTH not doing much of anything until I read to reduce the thickness of the substrate above the UTH so it can actually heat the air above the substrate.
    So my substrate is about 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick above the UTH (3+ inches elsewhere) and the UTH in combination with a 50 watt heat lamp placed on top of the screen keeps the tank heated nicely (10 gal). I have cardboard pieces on top of the screen and wrapped that with cellophane so the only open spot is where the lamp sits, and the humidity stays very steady (my substrate is all damp, half eco earth, half play sand).
    I just purchased a 55 gal tank and a large UTH for it.
    If you want to move them, though, the glue will not re-stick, so make sure you put it where you want it.
    With my 55 gallon though I will be getting another lamp as I'm sure I'll need another heat source, and I'll be picking up a thermostat to regulate the temperature.

18. imported_NotaMallard

imported_NotaMallard "Preparing For First Molt"

I had to duct tape one of my UTHs to my one of my snake's tank because I decided to move it. I'm a little wary of using UTHs for bigger crabitats, because for a 55 gallon it would be pretty expensive, right? I use lamps and they work for my 20-long and regular 20 gallon, but I don't know about the 55.

19. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well, if you don't mind my disagreeing, I have moved my large UTH several times, and have never had any problem with it sticking afterwards. I'm very careful though when pull it off so as not to damage it. So far--so good. :fingerscrossed:

20. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have a 36x18x24 tropical reptile tank approx.55 or 60 gal. And I have a very large tropical uth underneath, a small desert uth on the side, A heat lamp underneath, and a heating pad on the back. Talk about electricity!! The large uth is only good for molters. I have the small uth, and the heating pad on one side and thats where they sleep. That is the warm side of the tank. The other side is about 4 degrees lower. I have moved both uth when I changed tanks and had no problem with them sticking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.