1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat cable

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by hermiefun, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Has anyone tried the heat cable? Is it safe for hermies? Any info anyone has would be greatful thanks.

2. reader101

reader101 Banned

:confused:
    Not quite sure what you mean by a heat cable. Is it something intended for reptiles, or more like an under tank heater? Could you describe it, and does it go in the tank?

3. hermiefun

It is for reptiles its like a cord that heats up and you put it in the tank. The site i found them on said you can wrap them around branches and stuff.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I have seen them, but wouldn't recomend using one.

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

Hope you didn't buy one. Reptiles get their heat from the surface/overhead lighting by basking, whereas hermies require their heat from below.

6. hermiefun

Nope i didnt buy one i was just wondering about them. Thanks everyone.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

I use lights on top of my tank. I don't use a UTH. They bask under the light up on choya wood, the screen lid, vines and then they can bury and not risk the chance of getting too hot under a UTH.

Its a personal choice, but you don't need to use a UTH to get heat. Reptile lights work perfectly.

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

I'd be inclined to say it depends on the climate you live in as to how much and what kind of heat you need.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

It doesnt snow where I am, but it can get into the 20's. I have right now, a 40w dayglo, a 40w night and a 2.0 repti-sun. At night I will turn on a small room heater if it's necessary(usually isnt) The tank stays between 74-82 degrees.

10. Jason

Jason Moderator

Yeah, it really depends where you live as to what type of heating you need for your tank. I use an UTH and a 40 watt Night Glow which is on all the time to keep my tank in the mid 20's. It is currently -35 degree Celsius (-31 degree Fahrenheit?), and the tank is sitting at a cozy 24 degrees.

Jason

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

;)
    Try thinking -20 deg.!
    In my climate, the sun is gone at 5 pm now; the hermies do appreciate a bit of UV lighting suppliment during shorter days. The uth is a must year-round to assure even sub. heating. They love the purple overhead lamp, but only for a couple hrs. The tank lighting of leds is nightly, for their pleasure and mine (4 are moonglow).
    With the furnace running the past 2 mos., humidity is a major factor.
    I think every case is unique, depending on where you live; i.e. climate, average temp., near ocean, etc. You can either add or take away what your needs are. With my set-up, the main tank ranges from 68 f at lowest, water-wishes end to 82 f at the highest sub. level over the uth (4") for burrowing, with a sand level in between. (3 terraces/levels/substrates/full temp variation to choose from). Actually, I find them more inclined to dig down under this time of year with a full belly for a long, relaxing molt over the uth in the deepest (ecoearth fibre) sub.

Could it be that the farther north you go, the more inclined the hermies tend to go into a semi-dormant stage, likely molting, as the weather gets colder? :D Ask Jason about his weather lately!
    Bottom line is that heating methods can and will vary, depending on the need for heating suppliments subject to your climate. It also works both ways, as the little boogers like the a/c in the summer as well!

12. reader101

reader101 Banned

Isn't this the time of year we pull out a warm blanket to wrap around the tank at night? ;)
    If your furnace is on a lot like mine, it wouldn't hurt to soak a towel in hot water, wring out, and place over the tank for a while to help with humidity.
    (Teeth shivering...)
    :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.