1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartbroken... "Smalls".

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by Chuck_Norris, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I don't have too much to say, so this will be short.

Does anybody remember my small strawberry? The one with the obnoxious shell that finally changed in to a great shell? I was confident that he would be just fine and molt and everything would be happily ever after.

I found him last night. I left him in the tank because I knew that it just couldn't be true. He's still sitting there. I just keep thinking that there's no possible way... but I've finally realized that he's really gone and I need to take him out. This is an extremely hard loss for me, as I grew extremely attached to him while fighting to keep him alive.

Smalls was such a little sweetie. He would always sit and stare at me... he was my little buddy, as funny as that may sound. It's like he knew that I wanted what was best for him, and that I did what I could for him. At least, I hope he did.

I told my boyfriend about it last night. At first he said, "Awww..." I knew he didn't understand the magnitude of the situation, so I explained to him everything that I've been through with this particular crab. He then said, "Don't you have, like, fifty more?" I gave up on trying to get him to understand how I felt. I didn't have it in me to post last night, but I'm hoping that posting this today will help me cope with the loss a bit and hopefully move forward from it...

I feel really silly saying these things... well, not on here, but to anybody else. They just don't get it. So, thanks for listening and understanding how I feel. I'm glad I can come here and make a tribute to my brave little Smalls, who lasted as long as he could. Sleep sweet, my little trooper.

2. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Oh, no. =[
    I understand how much it sucks to lose hermit crabs, especially ones that you are particuarly attached to. My mom usually does the same thing your boyfriend did. She's always saying that I need to "stop overreacting" about my hermies.

They just don't get it.
    Well, now may be the time to bond more with your other hermie buddies. Maybe give them all a fun bath and put some coral in there for them to play on. That usually cheers me up. =]

3. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I understand, I am very attached to my oreo, and stripes they always climb on the ropes when I open the cage to feed them. It is hard to lose any crab, but a favorite is even worse.

Sorry

4. Chuck_Norris

Thank you. :)

What makes it particularly hard is that I was certain that he was out of the woods. He seemed soooo much better... he was eating a lot, drinking a lot, and moving around more than he had been. He still hadn't been up to climbing on anything or exploring... I'm certain that he never left the substrate. I thought that he would be more energetic after his molt, but unfortunately his molt never came. I can't possibly think of what else I could have done, and I'm very upset with myself for not seeing this coming. There's nothing more I can do at this point though, so I guess I just have to take it as a learning experience and move on.

5. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Aww.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

My condolenses.

Meg

6. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

My brother's crab died the same way! she was sick and then she got better than sick again and died.so sorry for your staw.

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Aw, I'm very sorry about your crab. I truly understand how you feel. It's very upsetting to lose one of our little pets, it kinda feels like your fault, or that you could have done more. But it's just nature. And sometimes nature just plain sucks.

8. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

So very sorry. *hugs*
    It's hard on me to lose them too. My favorite little guy molted a while back, but was dug up and attacked. I did all I could do for about a month. Thought he was getting better then-bam-he was gone. It was soooo hard. I totally understand how you feel-even if your family doesn't. Mine never does. "How can you get attached to a crab" is always the attitude I get...
    Hang in there.

9. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I posted yeaterday, but it didn't go through...

Sorry about "Smalls"...You always have an understanding shoulder to cry on here. I had noticed your absence in the postings.

10. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm sorry for the loss of Smalls. But please don't blame yourself, or think there was something else you could have done.

11. Chuck_Norris

Thanks for all the posts. :)

I feel quite a bit better (although I still always look for him, just out of habit... you couldn't miss him!), but I just have to concentrate on my other crabbies now and know that at least he got a chance, which is more than he got in his previous environment. So, again, thanks for each and every post, because every single one really did help. :) It just shows that one more person really does "get it"... because sooo many people don't understand at all.

12. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I just lost a crab today. I just saw him before I went to bed last night digging in the corner. I just made myself tuna fish sandwich and went to deliver my crabs some tuna that I had put aside for them I noticed one of my little crabs laying in a different spot. When I picked him up he fell out of the shell. I am so sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.