1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heads up for Petsmart!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by reader101, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reader101

reader101 Banned

If, by any chance you live within the area of the Cambridge, Ont. Petsmart, do yourself a favour, and steer clear of it!
    The staff know not what they are doing regarding hermit crabs, will abandon you for ages to try and find someone, who doesn't even know how many hermies there are still alive, let alone what kind and the care they need!
    :eek:

2. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

Well I did a phone survey with petsmart to get 3 dollars off the next purchase and at the end they give you a minute to give feedback. I got a little bit mean and told them that they should train the employees better in the hermie reptile department and that they should actually take time to read their own caresheet online and use the information in it. (I know this part was rude but hey.. I was heated) then I went on to say that if they didnt work harder to change conditons theat I would take my bussiness elsewhere. I havent been back since but Im headed there this weekend.

3. landhermie

landhermie "Never Molted"

What you should do is contact them at their website until they get it right. This doesn't always work, but is a great try. Mine at least got gauges when I e-mailed them (but don't pay attention to them.) I only e-mailed them 3-4 times, though. I barely go there. The last time I was there, which was last week, I didn't buy anything at all. One of the crabs were dead. Petdumb really disgusts me, and IMO, they should be charged for animal cruelty.

4. hermit man

hermit man Hi, I'm New Here!

my petco is doing ok the first to actually recognize the needs of hermit crabs they still sell the "bad cages " but the know the differnence bewtween straws and pp's (kinda sucks now the straws are like 10 $ they used to be 3.99 ) they have a little hermie section with the saltwater and evrything

H.M.

p.s. 1 down 200.000 left :)

5. Mookie

Mookie Hi, I'm New Here!

I noticed similar things in the Charlotte area, Hermit man. The Petsmarts have a horrible setup (they are in the fish display wall in a drained lexan aquarium with fish gravel on the bottom) and most of them were in painted shells. They all looked miserable, their item selection was bad, and the employees very apathetic.

However the Petco is completely different. While the staff was still mostly teens that obviously didn't care, there was management on the floor that showed care. Their setup was nicer, attached to the reptile area rather than fish, so they have hygrometers reporting good humidity. Their product line up is much better, with an entire shelf front dedicated to hermie items, and their hermies themselves were better looking. They were in natural shells, there were several active in the display, and the size and species variety was pretty impressive.

As for Petsmart as a whole, I avoid them as much as possible. When I was a teenager I worked for a Petstuff for a summer. Some of you may remember them, they were the national competitors to Petsmart, and eventually were bought out by them. The hiring there was done very much the same as Petsmart - minimum wage jobs meaning that they will take nearly anyone they can get. If the person has an interest in animals, it's considered a bonus.

Unfortunately, Petsmart ran out all of the mom-n-pop pet stores here, so we don't have a lot of options, but I truly will not shop there unless I cannot find it somewhere else.

6. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

The Petland i go to dont sell hermies but they do supply stuff for them and the people who work there do know what they are talking about which is very good. Though they do severly over price everything which is horrible for my wallet.

7. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

The Petco in my Town is awsome.althought they could put something to climb on in the cage, they still have bedding water and food, the temp is always good, but could keep up on the humidity, eventhough each crab is only there for about 10days, then shipped on to a diff. store. Most of employees know all about hermit crabs, but one of them has nooo clue. lol she rang me up, and said "What kind of Pet do you have" i thought, "look at my stuff, lol i'm buying HC dechorinate. HCbedding, climbing stuff, sponge." I mean Come On!!! she didn't even have a clue that they are nocturnal, i'm think Eric(one of the employees)needs to teach you about Hermit Crabs, lol

8. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

In my petstore they overprice stuff too. Especially hermit crabs. At one store I can get 1 for about $2. At another the crabs cost $4 each.:(

9. crabbiepants

crabbiepants (Micro Crab)

Shoot here in Raleigh NC they charge 8 bucks for the ones in the painted shells. I mean when I saved 3 from there they came home and changed shells four times in a week and now my largest Hewie is in a huge shell that he can almost curl all the way in. I think it was from him not having nothing but a small cramped shell. I thought he was actually smaller than he is when I bought him. They also did have the gauges and about an inch of calci sand and stuff for them to climb on. My guys haven't been digging so I don't think they were to stressed but I am going today to rescue some more so they can live in happy new home where they will get anything they could ever want.

10. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I'm in PA and the PetSmarts in my area suck as far as hermit crab care. And I know I don't help anything by continuing to buy crabs from them, but I feel so bad for the little guys. The humidity is always terrible, they feed them sucky commercial food, the water levels are always low, they only provide fresh water, and they have wood chips as a substrate. Boo!!!! And of course they sell them in the pretty painted shells!!! Blah!!!

11. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

the petsmarts in my town, have 2 tanks with crabs on E's and PP. no straws, i can never see any of them, cause they are always hiding, so i haven't boughtin' one yet from there, i get my crabs from Petco's that have much better conditions and the employees have more knowledge!!

12. Clazy4Clabs

Clazy4Clabs Hi, I'm New Here!

the Myrtle Beach SC Petsmart seems to be having a war within itself. I have both positive and negative things to say about them.

Negative:
    The first time I visited their hermit crab cage reeked of death, their were bodies everywhere. It was sickening. It smelled horrible.
    They only sell painted shells, and they are prepackaged so people can't even pick the correct sizes for them.
    They sell those cheezy kid-oriented habitats

Postive:
    They sell and encourage the use of the Hydrometer/thermometer.
    They sell lots of different substrates including the cocunut fiber and calci-sand.
    Their aquariums are well priced.
    Upon my second visit the hermit crab container had been cleaned and had a nice deep substrate, infact I spotted a crab buried preparing for molt. their crabs looked alot healtier. Their were no bodies, body parts, or death smell.

I think they are trying to improve, someone must have said something to them about the conditions. But their shell selection still sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.