1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCRU Chat Room

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by strawberryskittle, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I thought the main concern here was that we want to prevent sharing personal information and any kind of details that may cause an unsuspecting individual to come under personal attacks of any kind.

I'm not focusing on other behavioral issues. We have those rules on the forum. Chat logging is available. Horrible behavior is a ban-able offense.
    Plenty of chats now have age restrictions.

As for sharing personal information, I go back to my previous comment about the swaps section. Ask someone for their address under false pretenses of sending them some shells, poke around for the last time they posted, "HEY ITS MY BIRTHDAY" (or the forum even alerts you about that), and there you have it, you have their information. You can't stop that from happening even now, and having a chat room will not make it any easier. Users simply need to know the risks of divulging personal information, and that should be a requirement if they're on the internet in the first place.

You can't just moderate everything. Chat room moderation is dying. Cursing moderation is done by bots. So my question is, when you want to moderate a chat room, what are you going to moderate for that would be a specific problem for a chat room? Even if an argument ensues about hermit crab care, it wouldn't be any harsher than if it happened on threads, and sure two kids might get nasty over a topic, but its a disagreement over the internet. It's not like they're going to start throwing stones at each other. When reviewing chat logs, if we see an account logging very poor behavior, so? 1 warning, then perma ban. We can give out mod rights to more than two people, people who will be on the chat and can issue warnings if they see anything happening.

I avoided getting into the details of this topic because I disapprove greatly about some of the methods being used to censor this, moderate that, control this. It has a detrimental affect on communication for, IMHO, very little benefit. I prefer to approach things with a, "I trust you to treat others kindly, until you give me reason not to trust you." At which time the consequences will matter.

I appreciate this forum greatly, and though I'm sharing an opinion, I respect your opinions as well, and the forum isn't mine, so I certainly can't force a change! When I originally thought to have a chat, it was because a chat room, if modestly popular, could be a far more effective place to go for, say, emergency crab care. People who want to share some news on the day-to-day of their crabs without cluttering up the forums with "today my crabs are eating this," or ,"I got this new accessory!", or "this crab changed shells today!" The chat room idea was never born from some wish to detract from the HCRU family or to patch any dislikes about the forum itself.

</soapbox>

2. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I saw this today and thought it was a convenient time and place!

Researchers Advise Cyber Self Defense in the Cloud by PC World: Yahoo! Tech

Some of the points in here I think are very important, and I wanted to stress, since we're on this topic, so that kids and adults alike will know this

1) Security questions are at once a good thing and a bad thing. If you use security questions, and your answers are actually available as personal information elsewhere, you are putting yourself at serious risk for identity/financial theft

2) social media sites. More and more younger people, and even older, and more trusting folks, are hoping on this wagon without knowing the full impact that these sites can have. Listing addresses, phone numbers, photos, event attendance birthdays... all of these can potentially back fire. A lot of people have started to shut their profiles off from public viewers, which is good, but even a powerful site like facebook is not always attack proof, and my only suggestion is, if that information were to be obtained regardless of how well you guard it, would you be in serious trouble, and if so, take it down.

3) mobile devices are like a playpen for hackers and even physical theft. I avoid putting more than numbers and names in my phone, and often not even full names of the people I know. I don't put any notes with personal info, no details, no passwords because you never know if you might lose your phone and someone might cross it and take a peek. Recently I told my phone to save my AIM password, and I consider that one of those mildly daring moves.

4) Resumes online: I have to thank this site, as I had forgotten I had a resume up, and I need to remeber to take it down. I only put my name and my contact email on there, but I am still not comfortable having that out there. I know though, since I'm not aware of how sites like career builder and monster manage data, that they will probably still have my data there. Joining sites like these are always a little bit of a risk, and we can only depend on the people who run the sites to remain vigilant with our data.

5) This is a big one: "you need to install this in order to view this". Im sure we've all seen this. Some of these are legitimate. Quicktime, activeX, flash player, etc. You must be sure these are dowloading from the certified, genuine sites. To start, check where its asking to download from. To be even safer, whatever you are trying to do, close out of it, go to the actual site for these downloads, like microsofts home, to get these installed. Then revisit your site. Any sites you are not familiar with, you should not allow it to just install whatever it wants, regardless of how harmless it might seem or quick it is. the bit about software updates is pretty good as well. Often software updates come out with a "Critical" tag to them. I know its annoying and time consuming, and I put them off too, but many of these address serious security loopholes.

Some I wanted to add in as personal things I keep in mind

6) NEVER click on random links that you don't know what it is. Don't accept random links from people you do not know, and if you don't trust it, don't click it, you can be blunt with them and tell them, hey, I don't trust this. this has happened to people time and time again, they click on a link that is titled something seemingly harmless, or the URL seems right. But what it really becomes is a blank page with nothing visually on it. Blank pages don't trigger a natural DANGER DANGER response, and people just close it thinking nothing of it. It took those few seconds for a key logger to install on your computer and the next thing you know you're calling your banks and you're changing all your passwords and you're updating your antivirus (if you're lucky to catch it fast)

7) Don't fill out log in details until you verify the site. Some browsers now will show green for certified sites in the URL. "HTTPS" is also usually a decent indicator. Common sense is also good. For sites you commonly log into, you should keep an eye on it to make sure things don't look strange on a dark and stormy night.

8) the three tier passwords.... you got a password for IMPORTANT things...banks...bills...etc. you have a slightly less difficult one for things like forums....and a third for things you don't care about, usually a very easy to remember password. Most people I know actaully do this because its just too hard to remember passwords for everything. But this is really dangerous.

And of course... I'm going to assume, and hope I'm right, that we all know not to just download attachments or any kind of files. the only time I download files is when I expect an incoming file, when a family or friend says, hey Im about to send you this file, its this type of file and its got this content in it. Otherwise, I let them know, I may not open it because I don't know what's inside, and no one ever gets offended.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Guys. Um. I think a chat room is not a good idea especially when a member just shared their their age, state, gender and what color hair they have and where they were born..... If that's happening in the CHAT THREAD I can't imagine what a chat room would be like....

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Exactly Coco
    and it WILL happen probably not with the same person but another young person who does not know any better.

5. cloie74

ZWxFRTCGBHRV4YUJNK8IOL;PP;/DSCsl jzs2

Sorry about that I walked away and my 4 year old took over the laptop lol

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Gee...I understood what she was saying perfectly...:D :D

7. cloie74

ROFL, HE was giving out all his personal information...we have not had "the talk" yet but luckily i am the only one who understands "Logan - Ese" LOL

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Good Grief---he gave out all his info but failed to mention that he was a HE! (chuckle) I'm so embarrased...:D

9. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Maybe a chat room wouldn't be such a great idea,
    what with all the information that can be given out to everyone in the world! Also, spammers just LOVE to put random junk on those. Trust me. I've witnessed it happening to my friend once.
    Anyway, we already have a chat page, and its pretty popular!
    Vote yes!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.