1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCRU Chat Room

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by strawberryskittle, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

The purpose of the chat room is to get a real time back and fourth conversation between people. It means the instant someone hits enter, you see it, no refreshing, no visiting the thread, etc. It's like an IM chat, with a group.

We can use a variety of software, Im just personally not a fan of MSN because it is so cluttered.

Meebo on the other hand requires no additional installations, you just log in and join the room! :D As far as I know, we won't need a monitor for meebo, and I don't think there's mod rights anyway...

2. jissxc

jissxc (Micro Crab)

well i found out that we can embedd meebo into hcru but who is an admin at hcru so i can contact them

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Just go to "FORUM". . . If you scroll down; not to the bottom but where the list of different forums ends, there will be a caption that says "View Forum Leaders". Click on it. . .

4. Hermies4Ever

Jason is the super-moderator. . . He's in charge of the whole site. . . PM him. . .

5. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I've seen a social group, and it was really lame.
    It was just people saying:

Hi,
    hello,
    how's it goin',
    I'm back on again,
    is anyone there?
    Hey, I'm back!

It was awefull.
    I totally want a rapid text section, but for members only.
    There should also be a pole taken to see if anyone actually would "like" it. 'cuz chat stuff can get pretty lame sometimes.

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Lol! :D I like social groups, but that is true (and funny). There is an HCRU chatroom on meebo. It's really fun, but nobody comes on anymore. Strawberrryskittle made it but Idk where she went! I haven't seen her on here in so long! Do you want to chat with me there?

7. Hermies4Ever

There are currently six chatrooms: All Animals, which has 15 members, Hermit Lovers, which has 17 members, Hermies4Ever, which has 23 members, Crabby-tatta-tat-tat, which has 5 members, Express Lane, which has 3 members, and Teen Chatterbox, which has 6 members. . .;););)

8. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Hermies those arent chat rooms, they are social groups. With a chat room everyone is in a "room" you can see everyone who is there and what they type as they type it instead of having to refresh the page.

9. cloie74

I also forgot to mention that I do not agree with chat rooms for groups like this because they are not moderated by an adult especially when some people are too comfortable giving out their personal info to anyone who asks.
    I just dont think it is a good idea.

10. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Agreed Cloie74.
    While you may think it is innocent, you may end up giving out information that should not be shared with strangers. In the case of identity theft, you may not find out it it happened until you are declined for a student loan or a car. All a person needs is your birthday and address to get started. I won't get into the other dangers.

While you may think you are smart and won't give out any information, you can be tricked into it or feel you 'know' the person enough to trust. Stranger Danger is still out there. :(

11. strawberryskittle

Frankly I always thought that the internet and all these problems and threats have been around so long that parents teach their children these things now. Like not talking to strangers. Or going to strange places alone. It's all the same, isn't it?

12. cloie74

Thing is children especially in adolescence and early teen year are rebellious and do almost the opposite of what their parents tell them to do no matter what eminent danger is lurking around. Also their self esteem is low and they just want to be "Accepted" by their peers so sometime more information is given than intended. Anyone can be ANYBODY behind the mask of the internet. a girl can pretend to be a boy, an adult a kid. You never know, you get comfortable with talking to someone for a while and all of a sudden you are exchanging life stories.
    I have a 12 year old, he chats on AIM only with people I pre-approve on his buddy list and ALL his conversations are logged so I can go back and review them later, if anything inappropriate is said he looses the AIM simple.
    I also have K-9 Blue coat protection (It's like net nanny) that blocks ALOT of sites. Parents...I HIGHLY Recommend it and it is FREE.
    Anyway, after lecturing my son about the dangers of the internet his conversation with a "Friend of a friend" got a little personal with where he goes to school and where he plays baseball..EVEN AFTER WE JUST TALKED ABOUT IT!
    So as a parent, it is a terrible idea, because no matter how "grown up" the kids on this forum think they are they still need us adults to protect them from outside Very REAL dangers.

13. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

i think a chat room is a good idea as long as no personal info is shared. Why would it need to be. If there was a chatroom, people could ask q's that they need answers to fast. What if that person is the only one online and something is wrong with their crab? Then that crab could die, whereas in the chat room, an experienced crabber can give them instructions on what to do. Just my opinion :)

14. strawberryskittle

As for me not being around as much, I'm sorry! I've been working on moving out of my parents (well I've moved out now) and into my apartment and readjusting, so its taken some time and a lot of shopping time. :rolleyes:

I never had a lot of parental control. I was given a computer of my own at 13, I was given the internet, anything I wanted to use, any chat rooms I wanted. I was given a web cam at the age of 17, when I spent two weeks house sitting for my parents when a family emergency happened.

I spent a lot of time on the net, and talked to a lot of people, consider myself pretty technologically savvy, met a lot of great people in person. I did alright :). Everyone has their own ways I guess. It always just seemed like good old common sense.

Anyway. The meebo chat room, as I envisioned it, is NOT meant for anyone but people who go here. And I would go as far as to say we don't encourage poor behavior here and we don't house a lot of people with malicious intent.

My conflict is that meebo isn't officially monitored. It would depend on people who are willing to keep an eye on it and for people to just generally behave themselves. I can't stop the random people entering and promoting inappropriate things because as far as I can see, I can't ban, kick, or restrict.

The only way we can do this is to actually install a java app on this site specifically, and only allow people to chat who are logged in. that would require site manager help and a lot of research on my part, but I'm up for it if anyone would actually find it useful.

15. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I sort of agree with the following that people are saying.... I would not use the chat room so I really don't care. It may be a fun thing have around but if people start sharing things like what street they live on or what school they go to or what their birthday is it's certainly not a good thing to have around.

16. strawberryskittle

I appears giving out personal info is pretty commonly known to be bad! Which solves a lot of this issue right off?

I really don't mean to look down on it, I understand your concerns, but again, this is why I encourage getting a chat on this forum where its restricted to only hermit crab lovers who share this common interest! :)

17. cloie74

That's great that kids are so aware these days but who's to say that a pedophile ISN'T a Hermit Crab lover? No offence to the mods on the board either but who is to say they don't have a criminal past, I have been a moderator of a forum before no Criminal background check was required. Mods of this board are considered trusted adults by the kids of this forum and I wouldn't doubt that any one of them would share their personal info with them because they are in a position of "Authority". NOTE: I am NOT trying to cause trouble for the mods, I know as much about them as you do I am just trying to drive a point home.
    Thats all i am saying, you DON'T know the people on this board, You don't know anything about them personally or why they are here.
    Anyone who happens across this forum can read the posts weather they are a member or not, and they wont have to read very far to realize that there are alot of young kids here, so they join, settle in, ask fake advise and get to know everyone....Trust me in this day and age as a parent these are my worries every day! It is my job as a mom to think of the worst case scenario. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst: that is ANY parents moto.

18. strawberryskittle

Don't forget though, there's a huge flaw with this concern.

The swap forum involves people giving out mailing addresses all the time. I'm not comfortable with that either, I actually prefer to meet someone in a busy, open area!

So, nothing can EVER be fully controlled, and I feel like the harder you try, the worse it can get.

There's a good, common sense reason to not just randomly give out details. So long as everyone is aware as to why this can threaten their lives, I think trying to control it is like controlling cursing. You can teach someone why not to curse, but in the end, if they don't believe in the reasoning behind it, its pretty pointless...

I think this is turning into a discussion far far removed from the chat room hehe! :D If people are generally uncomfortable with a chat room, I can understand that completely too, and we can keep interactions on the threads only

19. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Strawberryskittle, You may have a good head on your shoulders, but others may not. I don't think we are being far removed on this topic. We are discussing the needs if we do have a chat room embedded in the forum. One of the needs is to have a moderator (probably more than 1 because of the 24/7 of the internet) just in case.

And why the worry? In today's society of sue happy people, this site could possibly be libel for a bad event that 'might' have started in our chat room. We can't have that.

It is a good idea, but the details need to be worked out.

20. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well...I was going to stay out of this, but here I am adding my two cents.
    I'm older that dirt--- :D---and just when I think I've heard of all the terrible things some people stoop to do to each other, along comes another despicable act. It's a great big, scary place out there, and some people, if you can even call them that, love to torture and torment "unsuspecting and trusting" people.

cloie74 and WizKidsMom, you are "spot on" with your info and concerns.
    To those of you that want this "other chat room", may I remind you that it would have to be monitored by adults. Quite frankly, I for one get a wee bit tired of trying to muddle through some of the stuff that is now appearing on this site. Another thing, and Cloie74 said it in a nutshell,
    There are those on here who argue with the Mods, who argue with good, sound, proven advice from other members, and in general think they know it all.

This site was meant to be a "safe" (as safe as a public forum can be) informative place to come to share and learn. It costs money to maintain a site, which is owned by Jason. The two Mods on here, volunteer their time, and try their best to keep an eye on things. It isn't easy, and there are a lot of things that are unfortunately over-looked because of the young age of a lot of the group.
    Personally, rudeness and lack of respect should not be tolerated, and the Mods should be able to "correct these attitudes". Yes, I said it---you younger peeps have 'tudes, and so do some of the older ones too. Respect and decency are part of being mature, no matter what the age.
    Soooooo......do you guys still want a "chat room" monitored by us "adults"?

Maybe we should appreciate what we have here on this forum, and get back to basics, which is asking and sharing information about the well being of our hermit crabs. It's a place to have some fun, some laughs, and even a few tears, shared with our HCRU family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.