1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble keeping it humid. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jesyca, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesyca

jesyca Guest

Im having trouble keeping it humid in my 40 gal tank. I have moist sand, sponges in both of my pools, and a really big sponge (about as big around as a CD) in its own bowl, and its still around 60. Ive been spraying it with warm water, but Ive gatta go to school next week, and I wont be here all day to spray it down. Im going to petsmary this weekend, and thats the last time my mom is going to take me somewhere to get my crabs stuff for a long time (shes been running all over with me for those crabs, and now shes getting sick of it). If theres anything I can do, I need to know by this weekend. Please help!!

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

What kind of lid do you have on it? You can make a do-it-yourself humidifier for your tank. I think there's a thead around here explaining it.

3. jesyca

jesyca Guest

I have a mesh lid with plastic wrap over all but the part where the heat light is. Where might I find the thread?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Sounds like you need a real lid for your tank. Get a glass fish tank lid or some plexiglass cut. Also depending on the wattage of the bulbs, that may be zapping your humidity too.

5. jesyca

jesyca Guest

The light is 75 watt. The kind of lid I have now has worked for me for as long as Ive had crabs. I do need a new lid, but its not why theres low humidity. So how do you make a humidifier?

6. Do you have a UTH? If so, put your fresh water dish over it...that helps humidify the tank. Also, get a glass lid. On my 10G I have a mesh lid that slides INTO the frame so a standard glass lid doesn't work. So I bought one that folds, use the bigger half and my light sits on the back half and the glass sits on the front half ON TOP of the mesh lid. This way the heat is directed into the tank and the glass seals off the rest of the lid and traps in the humidity.

You can sort of see it here...

[img width=225 height=300]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/Hermies2006020.jpg[/img]

7. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Wick- I really like your set up... it looks real nice and extremely functional. That is a great idea about how you have the lights set up.

Jesyca- I have found that using EE helps maintain the humidity better... my tank is half playsand and half EE. I am constantly fighting with my tank to keep the humidity down. I do agree that the glass lid would help you out emensely.

8. jesyca

jesyca Guest

thanks! Im going to petco, and petsmart today so Ill pick up some stuff :thanks:

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ooohh its all neat and tidy! I love it! :teddy01:

10. veltish

veltish Guest

i too like your set up wick.. looks awesome compared to how mine is...

im also having trouble with humidity.. but ive figured out the problem. i just cant fix it untili do a deep clean..so im just waiting on molters. you didnt say if u had a UTH or not. but it helps a ton with humidity.. especially if you do what vicki said and put the water dish over the UTH. i have a large pool over my UTH but it isnt making much of a difference because of how deep my EE is. A plastic/glass top also helps alot. i started off with a plastic wrapped mesh top..and thought i was doing good.. but its nothing compared to the new tops ive gotten. and they actually are really cheap. i think 15.00 for a 40 gal. depends on where u buy it.

11. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Agreed that sound a little like my mom :giggle: :giggle: she took me everywhere to get them and I imagine she is definitely sick of it. :scream:. I went to Lowes with her and we got some Plexiglas. It cost about $15 for my 75 gallon second hand tank but it would probably cost about $8 for you.
    Good luck with getting your mom to drive you. :scream:

12. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

:katertater:I can't use a heat lamp at all. I have to rely on 2 uth's one under the tank and one on the side of the tank. Also a heating pad that I will turn on every now and then. :dontknow: My heat lamp is under the tank so the whole bottom of the tank is fairly warm for molters. But the heat lamp just strips the humidity out of the tank and it's only 40 watts. :aargh:

13. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm having the same trouble as well. If I leave my 50w dayglow on it kills the humidity. I'm not too sure what to do :(

14. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I finally found something that works. I went to Wallmart and got a 75w dayglo and a 75w nightglow. not a heating bulb. And it has really stablized the heat and humidity. I have so many molters right now I had to unplug my uth so they could spread out .
    It got down to 70 in here last night but the nightglo kept the surface temp at 80 and humidity stayed at 80. I also have a plexiglass lid on the tank.
    I also went a bought 2 new hygometer temp combos. I always buy two to make sure they are accurate and the humidity was way too high in the tank. I had to open it up off and on for 2 days.
    When they all surface I will probably turn back on the uth to keep the substrate warm but for now all I have are the bulbs.

15. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

My thermostat controls the heat bulb, and I also recently plugged my bubbler into the thermostat. So now whenever the heat lamp comes on, the bubbler starts up and helps keep the humidity in the 70s even with the lamp on. I have to prop the rest of the tank open a bit more now, though, as the humidity is usually between 80 and 85 after the heat lamp turns off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.