1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone seen this?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by Mommy2Crabs, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

I hope this works. I'm learning how to do this stuff so please be patient.

Click on the link above and watch this video. This is so cruel to hermit crabs. Basically, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not buy painted shells for your crabs. Do not support this torturous hobby. No matter what anyone says about how safe the paint is for your crab, they can still get stuck inside their shell and eventually die a cruel harsh death. I hope ths educates crab lovers, it sure did me.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

it works-sad huh? This is old and has been shown a bit all over the crab forums-I am glad they do not show HOW they get them out of the shells (many cruel methods used). Part of the reason these babies are so stressed out when we get them and why they die. Very good clip to educate those that do not realize!

3. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

I've already seen it. It is cruel.

4. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Just out of curiosity, how do they get them out of their shells? I've read that hermit crabs won't let go of their shells and that they would rather be ripped apart than leave their homes.:confused:

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

they can be nearly frozen til the go limp...pin pricked out--heated out- I am sure there are more ways but that is what I heard :(

6. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

That makes me so sad.:( I bought one of mine painted, (Goliath, more attitude than size ;)) a few weeks ago. One week ago he changed shells and as soon as he did I took it out of the tank. He is now down for 1 week and is probably molting or destressing. I don't think he'll miss his shell when he comes back up. :D

7. bitty

bitty Hi, I'm New Here!

:eek:so mean

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I've also heard that they gas them out:(

9. mikvb

mikvb Hi, I'm New Here!

yes i just watched it and it blows me up too very sad but wonder how they get crabs out of shell. i read somewhere at the beach that a hermie will rip itself in half before bein pulled out of shell. but yeah thats sad to see on the vidoe.

10. mikvb

mikvb Hi, I'm New Here!

oops my bad someone already asked was answered sorry. but did not like hearin how they get them out so cruel!

11. Stephen2342

Stephen2342 "Preparing For First Molt"

That's just horrible --it always amazes me how cruel people can be to animals just for money. And sadly, some people are cruel to them just for fun!

12. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

OMG! That is so horrible! How could anyone do that to such an awesome animal!? I didn't do this on purpose, but for some reason I only buy natural shells for Nemo. Berry was given to me by a friend so she came with a painted shell, but now imma only gonna buy her natural shells as well! Man ppl sometimes really suck!

13. Jubi&Craabs

Jubi&Craabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Thats really mean

14. heidi

heidi "Never Molted"

i never saw that before how can people be so money hungry in the bookLAND HERMIT CRABS BYNEAL PRONEK PAGE 53 SHE TALKS ABOUT FREEZING A HERMIT CRAB TO GET YOUR FAV SHELL BACK I ALMOST DIED WHEN I READ THIS i was given a hermie in a painted shell and lots of other painted shell i saw the cartoon somwhere and smasheded all the shells and soon as he changed that shell was no more

15. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I agree with everyone's reply's. Painted shells make me Sick. I think they mainly use the "heated" method. Get a crab So hot that it has no choice but to leave it's natural shell. But - whatever way "they" use 2 remove a crab from his shell is AWFUL. Plus, the way they CRAM the crab into the painted shell! As if a crab is not a living creature. I am glad this site is here to inform people about this.

16. anish

anish "Never Molted"

In my 9 years of serious crabbing I have only bought one painted shell with herm. It was about a month ago and I was at PetCo (where else) and I found this little guy with no pinchers. So being me, my heart broke and he ended up coming home with me. I fully expected him to die. I hand fed him every day, then happily, he molted! Hi molt could not have gone better. He now has pinchers and has moved out and into a beautiful babylon. Out of disgust I tossed the painted shell. He is now in with the rest of the colony and seems to be quite happy. :)

17. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

PEOPLE ARE SICK!

If you rescue a hermie with a painted shell think of as many ways as you can to destroy the shell when the hermie moves.

-step on it
    - burn it
    -flush it down the toilet

18. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Stupid firefox wouldn't let me see this video but I saw another video about painted shells. It's DIGUSTING what they do to the poor hermit crabs! That stress could kill them, which would make them murderors. Those people should go to prison for animal abuse! Unfortunately, Sherbert was in a painted shell in the pet store and she stubbornly won't change into another one! Once she moves, I'm going to destroy the painted shells with the rest that were in the tank before I knew how bad it was.

19. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

ABSOLUTE DISGUST!

IT WONT LEY ME SEE THE VIDEO but you know what i dont want to see it anyway!:mad::mad::mad:
    i am not mad at any members i am mad at those stupid cruel sick disgusting people who have no freaking life at all so they have to go be murderers. who would want to pursue a career like that!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    I AM TOTALY SICK OF ANIMAL ABUSE! OK JUST MAKE IT STOP!!!!! OMG MAKE IT ALL STOP!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    I HATE IT!!!!!!

sorry for my language

20. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I totally agree with you, Hayley. Either people are just plain ignorant, or are aware and they're EVIL ANIMAL ABUSERS. They deserve to go to jail for 20 years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.