1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling your crabs...

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by TiNk3R, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiNk3R

TiNk3R Hi, I'm New Here!

So I always see pictures and such of people holding/playing with their crabs. They all look calm and just fine.

Whenever I try to take mine out (for only a min at a time since the room humidity isn't suitable) they do nothing but want to run away.. no matter how easy going and subtle I am. Then I feel bad for stressing them cause they look like they're going nuts.

I've NEVER had a crab (i have 8 now) die - their home is as perfect as I can get it. However they're still all scared to death if anyone comes near.

Is there a way to get them used to us? If i see one out during the day I will usually grab a kernel of popcorn (non salted) and slowly reach in and put it in front of him. Most wont jerk away and love the popcorn like it was crack... but if I pick him up they go apecrap.

Any suggestions?

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Handfeeding the popcorn to them? One hand holding hermit crab one hand holding popcorn infront of them. You can also put peanut butter or applesauce on a toothpick and handfeed with that. I have found that if you do it too much and they're not hungry, it can stress them out,.

3. TiNk3R

TiNk3R Hi, I'm New Here!

I've tried but they ignore the food and just try to run.

4. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

My question is are you sure they're running and not exploring? I find that the way crabs move, they always seem a little spooked.

5. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

Yeah. One of my crabs always seems terrified, but then they go crawling all over me and seem calm after a while. The only point where I got the feeling he was genuinely scared was when he climbed up my shirt and managed to fall in my cleavage. :D That wasn't fun for either of us.

Maybe try talking to them? I mean they can't hear, but they can feel the vibrations of your voice and mine seem to calm down after I coo to them like they're babies.

Also try putting a bit of organic honey on your finger and let them eat that. My smallest one Tyson was terrified of me until I did that, and then I swear he had this, "I LOVE YOU" reaction and started eating away like it was candy.

6. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

YOu can also try making ticking noises with your tongue. It kind of sounds like a hermie chirping and will get them out of their shell.

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Some crabs, like people, will always be shy. I have one guy who seriously won't come out after 15 minutes on my hand to warm him up. They can move fast, but usually when they're terrified and trying to escape, they'll dump out some of their shell water (at least, mine do). The more often you hold them, the less likely they are to freak out when handled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.