1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had an emergency this morning!!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by deege39, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Before bed last night, I turned on the light in my crabitat, and checked everything over...

This morning...

I FOUND MOLD!

OMG! I started screaming and gagging! There was mold, sitting on my sand... So... I had to conduct an emergency Search&Rescue... I had no choice but to unearth my two buried crabs, and put the other two guys in ISO...

I had to strip it completely down... I went and bought a new 50lb bag of sand, and two bags of green "hermit crab sand"... I don't get that sand much because it's expensive, but I felt they needed some sand with extra "umph". lol!

It took me two and a half hours... To strip down, deep clean, disinfect, re-wash, dry, and put back together... I washed all their accessories in scalding hot water with a dab of vinegar.

I'm almost positive that the "mold outbreak" was due to some kiwi I put in their tank a few days ago... It was on the verge of being old when I put in with them, and that night it was molding. I thought I caught it in time, but obviously not... It must have spread...

I didn't like having to dig up my two little guys, but I had no choice... They'll forgive me.

I've got pictures of the new layout I'll post later...

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

That horrible.

3. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

That sucks, hopefully you got rid of it all

4. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Thanks guys... Has anyone else experienced this before?

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I've never experienced that before but I'm a little lazy about spot cleaning and changing food but now I see what could happen!

6. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

That's insane!

It sounds like you did a great job on getting rid of it!

I've never experienced it before, but I'm glad you got through it.

:)

7. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Thanks... I'm pretty sure it's all gone. ; ) My crabs are happy as bugs-in-a-rug... They're a lot more active now...

My warning to everyone: if your crabs aren't moving as much, and those that aren't buried are huddled in one corner for more than a day... I would do a thorough inspection... I was lazy about spot-cleaning and changing out fresh foods too... (They're scavengers...) But at the same time, they don't eat mold! lol!

One guy is buried again, they really seem to like the green "hermit-crab" sand... : )

8. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Well when Clowny (RIP) came home he had mites. I had to take everything out and see if the other 5 didn't had mites (Luckily they didn't). It was so stupid of me that I put him back cause I saw no flies and he had flies the next day so I had do everything again.

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I had an ISO 1 gallon where the sand was a little to wet... And I fed a little too many rasberries... So I had a little mold along the surface but I would NEVER dig up a molter so I just scooped it and once a fruit fell behind a dish and molded but I just scooped it up. Why did you put all new sand in? COuldnt you have just scooped out the mold? And also d0on't buy green sand. THe crabs eat it, it has chemicals and they die from it. There is SUPER cheap sand at home depot for $4 per bag. Use that instead. Can't wait to see your new setup and good luck keeping away that mold.

10. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

He's not "molting" right now to my knowledge... If I scooped out the mold in one spot there was a very big chance of it spreading again... I mean, there was no mold on the sand with the night before... The next morning there was... I was concerned there were spores I couldn't see festering...

Besides, it was actually pretty close to the time I was going to change it all anyway.

Yes, I do get the big bags of playsand... But I got a small bag of the green colored sand for "hermit-crabs" that has calcium in it... My bad, I didn't think they'd eat the crap!

11. cococrisp

You can get calcium in the birds section. It comes in a little block and the crabbies will nibble on it.

12. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Yeah, "cuddle bones"... I was concerned with how they would eat it... Do you crunch it up fine and powdery? Or leave it in small chunks?

13. cococrisp

You can mash it up ( sometimes use a knife and shave little pieces into dust) and sprinkle it on their food, leave it in a block or put little pieces all over the place. You could even try making calcium water! That might be interesting but if one of the other ways is possible that would probably be the best choice.;)

14. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Thanks Coco... I tried using a cuttle-bone before a couple months ago, but I wasn't positive that they were eating it, but I figured if it was in their sand... I don't know... lol! But thanks, I'll go back to the cuttle-bone. ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.