1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrr

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by pineapplemama, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Okay so Arlington Animal Shelter isn't a store, but I don't know where else to ramble.

We adopted Mattie (I'm sure I've mentioned it) on Tuesday from the A.A.S. according to them she was surrendered that day, and therefore made immediately available after getting a couple of shots. She was supposed to be 7 months old.

I needed to get her a rabies shot, and my in-laws vet happens to give new adoptees a free well check up so I went there today. Turns out she is only 3.5-4 months old...no biggie she's still cute...but the part that kills me...

SHE HAD WORMS IN HER POO!! THE KIND OF WORMS THAT COULD HAVE INFECTED ME, MY HUBBY, OR WORSE, OUR CHILDREN!!!!

It was past 5 by the time I got out of the Vet's so I couldn't call the A.A.S. today, but I definately owe those people a piece of my mind! Their shoddy practices put my kids at risk, not to mention the poor puppy!!

She got her rabies shot (poor baby) as needed and they gave her some (oral, thank goodness) medicine for the creepy crawlies. She will be fine!!

Thanks for listening guys...

-Crystal

2. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

That really sucks. You'd think an animal shelter would be better about that kind of stuff.

3. pineapplemama

Monday I have to go turn in her Rabies Certificate...at the shelter...boy are they in for it!! [​IMG]

But she's doing well, she can keep up with my kids, but also cuddles me relentlessly. And she's doing well in the potty training...yay [​IMG]

Anywho, gotta go eat...

4. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

If she was just surrendered that day, they may not have had time to check her for worms. Are you sure they were the roundworms that can be contageous to humans? There are several types. Mainly control fleas and they won't come back once you got rid of them.

5. pineapplemama

The vet said that she must have gotten them from...shall we say getting too close...to an infected dog's poo. And that if humans don't properly sterilize hands, carpets, etc then we could get infected...I can't remember which worms they were...just that they are bad. As far as not having time...seems to me that if they had time to give her shots, then they had time to check for creepy crawlies!

She's doing well, knows where her bed is, hasn't chewed any shoes...although my daughter's stuffed dog has taken a bit of a beating... [​IMG]...and she answers to her name. She didn't have a name when we adopted her, at least not one that we knew...

T.T.F.N.

-Crystal

6. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Hi, Crystal.

How is Mattie doing? What breed(s)is she?

My German Shepherd Dog is a society girl,too (humane society).
    She was a bit of a mess when we adopted her,too.
    They told us she was a mixed breed and at least 10 mos old, should only be about 45 pounds full grown, etc, but there was no way. She also had to be spayed at the Humane Society before adoption, and she was very sick from the surgery. Turns out, she was allergic to the dissolvable stitches they used and her incision was opening up and they never noticed, her ear cartilage was broken and the pigment on her nose was worn off from where ever she injured it.
    In actuality, she was probably only 5-6 mos old
    and according to my trainer looks to be a purebred German Shepherd Dog from Germany, who is 90 pounds.

Our humane society counselor told us they guessed the best they could on her background.
    They didn't have any good reasons as to why they didn't see how sick she was, though, and did call and follow up on her after we brought her home. Said we could bring her back to the society vets free of charge for care. No, thanks, we'll go to our own vet.

But what a sweetheart she has turned out to be. The humane society named her "Wonder" because they wondered where such a nice dog came from, but we named her "Kate". I wonder where she came from, too, with some of her emotional baggage, but I'm glad she's mine now.
    We think she's about 7.

Hope Maddie is doing well!

7. pineapplemama

She's doing well. The vet says she's only 4 mos old so we picked Oct 13th for her b-day. She's a spunky lil pup. We were going to get her fixed on the 4th, but our vet said she needs to get all better from those creepy crawlies before we do that, so it will be the end of march at least.

Such a spaz...chewing like a maniac...stupid squeaky toys get REALLY annoying...she still doesn't like the hubby too much, but he's now the one who feeds her...so she better learn to live with it!!

8. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]Awww! She's just a little baby girl!!
    I'm sending good thoughts to Mattie to be rid of the creepy crawlies...definitely want her healthy before she's spayed.

I know exactly what you mean about those squeaky toys!! I have a cockatoo that likes to "become" the sound as well. Drives my hubby completely up the wall!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.