1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrr.....Painted Shells

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by krackersmom2, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrabLover910!

CrabLover910! (Micro Crab)

I went onto the PETA website just now but I can't find a way to contact them. Somehow, I don't think they'll be too intrested. They more care about "big animals". People believe they feel pain more than "little animals". I know you feel the same outrage I feel at this so please join me in the struggle!

I am making a site for my new group, the RSPHC so please join when i put the link out please!

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I'm definitely joining! :D
    Actually, my friend ordered some vegetarian thing from PETA, and she got a free t-shirt that was against hermit crab captivity. So they do care about hermies, but they should focus more on painted shells and the specific mistreatment.

3. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

Good grief, not only is that mean but it's not dignified.

I have 3 crabs in painted shells right now. So far I haven't been able to convince them to swap out. I know Nosy wants to, he's been checking out all the shells in the tank (he's in an awful orange shell with something vaguely resembling a Ninja Turtle painted on it, talk about undignified...), but hasn't found one he likes enough yet. I need to find him a good turbo shell. I think all the turbo shells I have right now are too small for him, and he doesn't seem to be interested in the fox or murex shells. Fuego has several options, including a small polished Petholatus shell that he checked out pretty thoroughly one time, but ultimately decided not to try on. Sarge hasn't seemed too interested in shell swapping.

Nikki

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

first of all, i didn't know how they got them in painted shells... that's horrid! second of all, that is completely disgusting. I hate it when the little guys are treated like crap. At the very least, of they HAD to shove all those guys into a tank together, get a mesh tank so they can separate themselves! god, this is horrible!

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Maybe it can't help all crabs but it can help just that one. Just because I can't hit all the crows with one stone doesn't mean I shouldn't just help one crab. Guy, we can all make a difference to one or two crabs and even if it can't make an impact on the world it can help those ones we do help. I'm not rying to be mean but maybe we can just help a couple.

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

This is why I am only adopting for now and in the future, when I have room to buy more crabs (i.e. have bigger than a 30g tank for my current 8 crabs), I won't buy from stores that have painted shells available.

It's very tempting to offer to buy all of the crabs if they promise not to get more painted shell ones, but it won't help - you'd need a contract with them first.

Oh, and I think that the "football helmet" crabs are the worst - they have to glue those helmets on with the crab in there, otherwise the crab couldn't get into it...the crabs change almost immediately after being offered real shells. Can't say I'd blame them, who can eat or drink with a face shield in the way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.