1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growth Rate

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Iblab crab, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I think my crabs are growing faster than normal,thanks to the food at the Addiction Store.My large has molted with me 6 times in 3 years every 4 or 5 months.The last couple of molts she was in a 1 inch openning shell then after a molt a 1 1/16 then another molt and now a 1 1/8. My question is should they be growing this fast at this size? I know teenies and smalls molt and grow quickly but don't they slow down once they get large? It is hard to keep up with growth and adequate  sized shells.And why can't I find shells between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2? Thankfully I have planned ahead and purchased shells that go up in size but she only wore these expensive shells(which I had to buy mutiples) for 5 months.Now I think my 2 mediums are trying to catch her because they skipped a whole size.Please any long term and experienced crabbers have info on growth rates? If I can't find shells between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 she might have to wear a tea cup.
    TIA
    IBlab crab

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mine also have grown alot in 4yrs. They were small when I got them but are now on the verge of being jumbos lot larger then a golfball and only molt once a yr. now. Thanks to the addiction store.

3. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Trixie,Are your crabs pp's? Do you know how many molts they have had in 4 years?What size shell openning are they in? If pp's can live 30 to 40 years you would think they might space out their growing.
    IBlab crab

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

the smallest ones would molt every 3mo. the others about every 6 mo.. But has been fewer as time has passed.
    I dont think they are real old cause they were small (not tiny) when I got them. They are all PP's. They are in 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 shells. A couple are in shells to small and too big Cause I cant find 1 1/2 in. shells anymore but they manage with the ones they have. They are all about the same size now even though they were not when I got them. It only takes them about 6 to 7 weeks to molt. There growth rate has slowed down alot in the past year. They havent grown much in the past year.

5. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I am surprised that my large is still molting every 4-5 months,I swear she molts right after the other 2 mediums.It is interesting that you say all of yours are the same size now because(Don't think I am crazy!) I feel like the other 2 are trying to catch up to the large.I had a small once that would molt back to back and one day was the same size as the others.There must be something to this.You would think that they would need to be different size to synchronize shell changes like in the wild,but with having all the shells they need in captivity there is no competition. I wish Carol O. would write a book on her observations. I doubt they grow this fast in the wild,they don't eat as well. I have heard crabs do not eat  much or they eat small amounts,but mine eat alot all the time not just pre molt or post molt.They are very active and during the day,maybe that is why.
    Thanks Trixie for your replies.
    IBlab crab