1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing Moss in Tank

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by HermitPaws, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ok i read in another post by reader101 that he/she grows moss in a shell in the crab tank. how do u go about doing this? do you buy it from a store first?:confused:

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ok just found the post again reader101 was banned for some reason ( i don't really care) but does any 1 know how you would go about doing this? Just sounds intresting. any way heres the post i copyed:

Re: Moss and a second level
    "My guys have had it growing in their tank for about 9 mos. I put it in a clam shell with a touch of (pure) soil and make a point of soaking it daily with fresh water. The hermies will spend hours munching on the roots and also absorbing water, so the moss has to be replaced every 4-5 days with a fresh batch, and repot the last batch to grow more roots. I find 4 -4" flower pots of fresh green peat moss keeps them (20) going. Just keep in mind that most any fresh plant you put in the 'tat will be eaten by the tender roots.
    And yes, I do keep some on the second level, as it's easy to mist when I do the hermies.
    Hope that helps."

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

You can always just buy sphagnum moss from the pet store. They eat that too! :)

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I guess if you went to a plant nursery and asked if they had moss that was in organic soil. Then plant it in EE in your tank. That might work.
    I just get the dried reptile moss and soak it in salt water. They eat it pretty quick.

I've grown grass, not moss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.