1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing live plants

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by nancy, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

This may have been mentioned before. I was wondering if it is possible to grow live plants for the crabs to munch on. I was thinking of putting some Eco-Earth in a murex shell, since I can't get a crab into one, and then planting some bird seed. I grow sprouts for my eight birds all the time. Do you think this is a safe idea for the crabs? Thanks.

2. Shiya

Shiya "Never Molted"

As long as none of the plants are things that would be poisonous to the crabs, I don't see why not. Even vckums sells growable seeds in her Hermit Crab Addiction store! :D

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yup I do! I just grew some Chia seeds and I got my lond Indo sitting in the dish...I think he's hogging it!

I just posted a safe food list so check it out!

4. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

will plants grow in play sand? I've been trying to grow some plants and haven't had much success. Vckums, are those chia seeds like the ones they advertise on TV?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I don't know how theyd do in sand. Can you get any forrest bedding or ecco earth? I grew my seeds in the worm castings I sell. I put some in a dish, watered it and in 3 days they grew.

Yes they are the same!

6. hermiecrab101

hermiecrab101 (Micro Crab)

Vckums what would you like to see in the contest?

7. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

Cool I might try and get some forest bedding or eco earth. I just got a new tank for my hermies, it is a 20g long and has a built in pool! I'm excited about decorating and putting my hermies in it!

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

I want to see the pool!! I did one when I had a 55g and it was a PITB. I didnt know they made built in ones, lucky!

9. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

I'll try and post a picture, but it might be awhile. The tank used to be a turtle tank, so thats why it has a pool. Would chia seeds grow in bed-a-beast? I saw it at Petsmart and was wondering about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.