1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Medusa8, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Medusa8

Medusa8 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello all!
    I'm very excited to be on a site like this. It can be so hard to find info on hermies, and a the books seem to disagree! I'm sure I'll learn a lot here.

A little about me- I bought my first hermit crabs with my wonderful Fiance when we moved in together 4 years ago. We bought 3 of them to start with, and sadly, Medusa is the only one still living. She ate one of the others when he molted in the middle of the night, and the other sadly died during the stress of a move. Luckily Medusa is alive and well, and very very active. the pet store where we bought her is surprised she's still alive. They were also surprised when we had all three alive 3.5 years into owning them. I find it very sad that people think hermies are throw away animals. My fiance and I tend to take in animals that are 'thrown away' such as a hamster, a rat, and a cat, so it's obviously not something that we believe in.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME nice to have you!!

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Welcome. Sounds like you have a heart for animals. :)

By the way, Medusa needs a pal or two.

4. Medusa8

Oh, she does. Now there's Medusa, Ash (who is missing part of his 'arm'), ShyGuy, and LB. Medusa and Ash are very active, while ShyGuy and LB are a little timid. I love how they each have different personalities!

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome! I love the name ShyGuy! Fits all my crabs!;):D

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome! :D It's great how you care so much about animals!

7. Medusa8

I've always cared about animals. I was the little girl that brought them home. Now I'm the grown woman that does! My poor Fiance has had to establish rules, since I can't walk away from an animal in need. I can only get a pet every three months, so if I find an animal that needs help I end up finding a no-kill shelter or a rescue to give it to. It works out well for the animals and the pocket book.

8. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Welcome to HCRU!

9. Laughs O Lot

I want to be like you when I get older!

10. Medusa8

Thanks! I used to volunteer at animal shelters and rescues, but unfortunately my health doesn't allow for it anymore. I'm only in my early 20s, but I have to live within the restrictions of my body, unfortunately.

11. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Aww, I'm sorry! I when i become older will study animals and work on saving some. I have over 30 pets, And my Father made some rules to.......

12. Laughs O Lot

I'm sorry.:( When I grow up I want to be so many things!!! One of them is a zoologist. I want to study animals, educate people about them, and most of all help and save them. I'm going to have so many pets when I get older!:) :D

13. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

My husband has already made some rules about animals...none but my current crabs. :( Granted, it's a $250 non-refundable deposit for any cats or dogs in our apartment, and the crabs are about as much time as I can handle...but my tank probably could hold a few more. I think he's focused on the 'these crabs will at some point get bigger and it will be more crowded then, so better not to get more crabs now' thing. I just want to save all the crabs I can. I'm also limited to only adopting unwanted crabs...so I watch craigslist and the Crabstreetjournal Adoption forum. It's frustrating though...no one wants to give any away that are close enough to me. There are a few people in Florida, but they're at least 4 hours away so no dice.

At some point I'll probably somehow manage (when we're living on our 150 acres in TX that we dream about) to save a bunch of dogs from a non-no-kill (aka a kill) shelter nearby or something...just to keep them from being killed if they are cool with other dogs and such. At that point, we'll be independently wealthy so it'll all be good. :)

14. Medusa8

Heh, I want to be indepenantly wealthy! My fiance knows once we get the farm I want to be on, we'll end up having a lot of animals. I want goats, pigs, chickens, rabbits... the list goes on and on. I grew up on a farm though, so I always want animals around.

15. emmac350

Yeah, we're doing the Dave Ramsey 'plan' with our money. Emergency fund, pay off all debts, save for retirement, never go into debt again (i.e. save and pay with cash for all major purchases), etc. It makes SO much sense, but we get "no money down! 0% financing" shoved down our throats so much that eventually you start to think that you need that debt...yeah. Sorry, money being handled improperly is one of my pet peeves...that whole don't buy it if you don't have the money for it thing.

So the farm you grew up on - did you eat any of the animals you raised or was it a 'have chickens for eggs and goats for milk' thing for your family?

16. Medusa8

We had chickens for eggs but never reached the point of slaughtering them, as wild dogs were constantly ravaging our flock. We had horses, a donkey, a pig (which was a pet. My mom LOVES pigs) and we had a goat that we slaughtered to eat. We had a lot of animals and you certainly grow to learn the facts of life and death quickly when you're on a farm. We didn't have any cows but a neighbor did and we bought one, watched it grow up from a baby to an adult, then had it butchered for meat. It was educational.

We pay for everything in cash, though we don't have any plans. The big debt for me is hospital bills, but I still get treated like some sort of deadbeat by people regarding hospital debt. I recently took out a student loan, but we're planning on having it paid off before I actually have to start paying it. We're planning our wedding and everything has been paid for in cash. It's a good way to stay in budget!

17. emmac350

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. :) I don't think I'd ever be able to keep chickens, though, because we have a really awful smelling chicken farm a few hundred yards behind our apartment building. There are some woods between us, but it still reeks all the time. I know what you mean about learning the facts of life and death on a farm...I never lived on one but I have had to kill and clean and cook a chicken all by myself...and I appreciate my boneless skinless chicken breasts much more now!

I don't envy you the wedding planning...that was the worst part of getting married for me. I hated it. Luckily, though, my parents paid for the wedding, although we kept the costs low for them and they were able to pay everything off without any loans or credit or such. Paying cash is hard, but it's so worth it when you don't have any "why did I buy that???" guilt over your head.

18. Medusa8

Big producers of chickens will definitely make them a turn off. We had free-range ones, so there never was a smell problem.

My parents have been helping a lot with the wedding. My condition is worsened by stress, so my mom pretty much took over. It's a good thing to. I wanted a backyard BBQ wedding done whatever weekend we were up there. Nothing formal at all, we'd just invite whomever was at Church, warn a few friends that were up there, and have some hamburgers or something afterward. Weddings are a BIG deal where my parents are, so it became a bit of pride. So I told mom what we had planned on spending for the wedding, and they agreed to pay for the things we hadn't budgeted for. They pay in cash, we pay in cash, and we've stuck to a really good budget. I think the whole wedding will be under 1000. It's a small town so things aren't so expensive, and of course, I don't really care much about it. Vendor: For only 500 dollars you can upgrade to a luxery package. Me: Nah. Its no big deal. Vendor: But its your wedding! The most important day of your life! Me: No, it's OUR wedding, and if that's the most important day of my life, I have a whole lot of disappointment ahead. I should probably save for the shrinks I'll need. Vendor: But EVERYONE upgrades. Me: I'm not everyone, and I'm not upgrading.

It's fun.

19. emmac350

Nice. The most expensive thing we did was the catering because we wanted real Texas style barbecue, aka brisket. The food was fantastic, and we've gotten the guy some other business (when he realized that we'd gotten him the last thing we got him, he made us a brisket for free to thank us...mmm...) through his doing that. Other than the food, we did our own setup of the reception site (the day before the wedding) and just used plastic tableclothes, made decorations for the head table out of giant shiny pearly white package bows and orange silk flowers, and used our own speaker system. We had about 50 people there (we live about 1000 miles away from both of our home towns so whoever came was awesome, and if people couldn't, oh well) but they were all friends, which was great. Our photographers were two of our good friends, one of whom is trying to get into the photography business and the other of whom already is in it, but did our wedding for free just in case the other one didn't quite get enough pictures.

20. Medusa8

I would love to see photographs sometime. We're lucky that we know so many people willing to use their skills. My mom and dad's neighbor is getting into competition cooking and we just are paying for materials, he's cooking for free (our venue is hard to get into cooking wise, so this is his audition so to speak). Another friend is starting a photography thing so we're just paying for film and they're using our pictures as part of their album, and the band we're using wants to play at the other events our venue is holding, so they're charging a 3rd of their price to have the chance to play. It's all very serendipitous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.