1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grapefuit?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by kissmeimgone, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Its not listed on the safe food list so Im just curious if grapefuit is okay..and if so..how to serve it?

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Being a citrus food, I imagine grapefruit is alright to serve them. I understand that you shouldn't give citrus very often, but it's alright once in a while.
    Wash it very well to make sure there is no pesticide residue, and you can serve it by cutting a little wedge of it, peeling and all. The white part is very good for them. If you aren't comfortable giving them the whole peeling due to pesticide concerns, peel it and leave as much of the white part as you can - even scooping it off the peeling to give to them.

3. kissmeimgone

Thanks much. I bought some today curious whether or not my little ones would like it [I now have 3, just have to name the other two...] And do you know about avocado? Ive never really messed with peeling or whatever you do to those before..I know THATS on the food list though. Any suggestions? :)

4. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I believe I read somewhere not to give them the avocado peeling, but the meat itself is fine. I just cut a piece and put it in their dish, sometimes I sprinkle a little spirulina on it. :)

Congratulations on your new additions ;)

5. kissmeimgone

Thanks ^.^ A few of my new additions ocassionally like to dig themselves underneath the food dish and I always get nervous they can't breathe so I move them back but they always wind up crawling right under there again -.-

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Kissme, it's not a good idea to move a buried crab. Don't worry, they can make air holes for themselves in the substrate, and wouldn't be under there if they couldn't breathe. :)
    What kind of substrate do you have, btw?

As for buried crabs, you never know when they are buried for molting and disturbing them could be a death sentence. Best to just let them do what they do best, they managed to survive in the wild without our help! hehe :)

7. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

yeah one of my hermies pretty much lives under the saltwater dish! :)

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Is it okay to move them is you are positive they are not molting? Sherbert just molted a week ago so can I move her if she's digging in a bad place?

9. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i wouldnt she is showing signs of getting ready to molt. you said she has been drinking for 2 hours.

10. kissmeimgone

the substrate in my tank is forest bedding

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

She just molted two weeks ago! It would be so freaky if she molted again. That would probably be impossible because she is small, not teeny or anything.
    Forest bedding is awesome! I have eco earth!

12. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I've heard rumors of crabs that did back to back molts, so don't completely discount it.
    But yes, I agree she probably isn't going to molt soon. Since she just molted it makes sense she'd probably spend some time in the saltwater dish or spend a lot of time in the food dish replenishing what the molting process took out of her. :)

I personally do not like to dig up my crabs unless it's for a deep clean and I'm sure they aren't molting, since they know what they are doing. If they tip a dish, then I need to put it in a different place, or maybe put it a little deeper into the substrate to discourage digging under it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.