1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got My Neighbor's Crab

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Dezzi7, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Dezzi7

Dezzi7 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello all! Have some questions I hope you can help me with!
    I have 4 crabs that I have had for about 6 years now, they are all PP's. They are med-large in size, and healthy.

My neighbor has 2 little boys, ages 6 & 9. They had a hermit crab (also a PP) that was living in one of those little plastic carrier type cages- the very small kind. The crab is VERY small. The crab had no substrate, no hiding places, a couple of painted shells (gone now!), and was being feed some kind of "pellet-food".
    So I convinced them to let me have the crab. I felt so bad for the little guy/gal. They said the crab was not eating. So I moved the crab into a little bit bigger cage, and gave him what he needed. He LOVES the hut! He has changed shells, but I don't think he has eaten anything yet. He is active though, and I see him moving around. I want to keep him quiet for a while, because I know he is stressed- the boys handled him a LOT. I've had him for 3 days.

So my questions are:
    -How long should I keep him in ISO?
    -Is it salt baths to look for mites?
    -My tank is a 55g, will he be freaked out in there?
    -Or freaked out by the larger crabs?
    -I don't bathe my crabs, but when it's time to put him in the tank, should I bathe them all together?
    -Should I let him molt first?
    -Other than putting shells in the big water dishes, what all do I need to do to my tank to prepare for the smaller crab?

Any other advice would be wonderful~! Sorry so long, and Thank you for the help guys:)

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

congrats on your new friends.
    questions
    Keep in iso a couple weeks to make sure he is ok and eating. It might stress him out more if you put him in a tank with a bunch of giants.
    So let him get healthy first.
    I wouldnt bath him right now if you cant see the mites but yes it is salt water.
    Large and small crabs interact together in the wild and travel in packs of all different sizes so once hes healthy its ok to put him in the tank. He might hide for a while though.
    let him get healthy then giving them all a bath sounds like a good idea.
    If he molts first let him surface a few days then bath in fresh water. No salt water. Might have a tender spot on him from molting and it would be like putting salt on a wound. OUCH.
    A few little things to climb on,some fake plants to climb in or sleep. Maybe a hut (mine never did use them).Food, eggshells. Maybe oak,and maple leaves to help with the molt.
    But him having things to climb on will make him happier and relieve some stress.
    [hr]

3. Dezzi7

Dezzi7 Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much Trixie~! Your advice is great:)

I looked at the crab today, and I noticed he is missing a leg. I asked the kids about it, and they didn't seem to remember seeing a limb.
    I didn't see any mites on him, so I will wait a while and give him a quick salt bath. After a salt bath, I then put him in plain nc bath to rinse him?
    So for now, I will keep him where he's at and keep him quiet. Hopefully he will eat when he notices that I'm not gonna mess with him like the boys always did. I want him to have his strength before putting him in the main tank.

Thanks so very much again~!