1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my Crabs Today

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Synesthesia, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synesthesia

Synesthesia "Never Molted"

The thing is whenever I get a pet it means I get to worry. I might have been a bit too hasty.
    I bought some nice moist substrate from the Hermit Crab Patch. When I put August, Toguro and Shy into the rather uneven substrate August started pacing around, Toguro, who is sadly in a painted shell it hasn't gotten rid of yet, was sort of peeking out a bit and Shy peeked out as well. All of them have walked around on my hand, their antennas are twitchy, but I worry that their crabitat isn't good enough. They are currently in a storage tub (on the Hermit Crab Patch, they said those could be used and I put the bag the substrate came in, a bit of this silly cheap plastic wrap and the lid is put on losely for the sake of humidity, plus there is a shell full of decloranated water with a sponge in it, another shell with salt water and the moist substrate)
    This is most likely a temporary set-up until I get a 10 gallon tank, but I'm worried about whether or not they are warm enough in there. They seem pretty active so far, but I hope they are OK. There's still a few more things I need to get for them over the next days and when some more money comes in next week.... *shy wave* :eek:

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome! You can get a 10 gallon tank REALLY cheaply off craigslist. Maybe $5 without a lid and 10 with a hood. You can get a plexiglas lid at lowe's. They will cut it for you and it cost me $15 for my 75 gallon tank. It might be $5 for a five gallon. Maybe less. You can buy heating pads at the pet store etc. Those will wrok well for heating but don't get one bigger than ten gallons. It might dry up your substrate. You can find whatever info you need on the sticky in general care section. It will tell you all about setting up your tank. The checklist (FOund in the portal) is also a good thing to read before setting up a tank. If you have any other questions, the forum is always here.:)
    Good Luck.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hello Synesthesia, Welcome! :)
    I know how you feel, I and everyone else was new once, so don't be shy. :D
    Among one of the most important items you will need for your tank is a temperature and humidity gage. I can't stress that enough because it will help you get the hermies' living and breathing conditions to where they should be.
    There is a "sticky" on how to calibrate your gage/gage's when you get them. There is also a questionnaire that you can fill in and post and we can help you better. (Go to Forum and look for Emergency Care 911, click
    that and then click "Sticky" at the top of the page)

I hope Cococrisp doesn't take offense at what I'm about to say, (because I certainly don't mean any) but if you do go the plexi glass route, buy a strong grade of it. The lights will need a strong support and if the plexi glass is too flexible, it will sag under the weight.

I had aquarium hoods on my 55 gallon, but my 75 had no hood with it, so I went with the glass lids. I Absolutely Love Them, and highly recommend them (thanks Hermez).

Good Luck, and there is a wealth of info here, so read away, believe me, it's time very well spent. Your crabbies will thank you too! :D

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I did not have lights sitting on the plexiglas on my tank and the plexiglas was simply to keep in the humidity. You can buy stronger ones but what I did was just have the thin plexiglas and have a ten gallon tank hood over the side. It's hard to explain. The hood was hanging out over the edge of the tank and the lights were in the center. The lights were not touching the plexiglas so it did not sag etc. For a ten gallon tank, Mckenny is right but at the time with my 75 gallon the glass was REALLY expensive, At least the amount I needed.
    Sorry if this does not make sense.:eek: It's really confusing. You'll find what you need in the stickies.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.