1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodnight Ichigo

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by squidflakes, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squidflakes

squidflakes Hi, I'm New Here!

I lost my first crab today. She was a beautiful large Strawberry, and the first hermit I ever owned. For the last couple of days, she's been haning out naked in the water dish, and I was strugging to find out what the issue was. I thought maybe she was molting, or maybe had bugs. I thought maybe her shells were bothering her, so I took the lot of them out, and boiled them in sea water, then flushed them with fresh.

Last night, she finally got back in to one of the freshly cleaned shells, but when I got home today, she was sitting in her favorite spot by the water dish, and unresponsive. I knew pretty much right away that she had passed, but I had to pick her up and find out. She was the most gregarious crab I've owned, coming almost completely out of her shell when she would walk on my hand. She was a racing crab, a climbing crab, and most of all, a friendly crab.

I feel awful, because I know this is entirely my fault. I haven't been able to keep the humidy in the tank above 60% for any descent length of time, and I'm at a lost for an explanation. The only time it gets really moist in there is after I've sprayed. Hopefully, my other straw Eyeson Stalks, will hold out just a little bit longer. The worst part about this, is it has really dampened my enthusiasm for crab keeping. The same thing happened when I lost my first tropical fish, so I know this is just temporary, but.. well.. here I am. I'm just glad this forum has an obit section. Typing it out has helped. Its odd isn't it? Getting this attached to a decapod.

2. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Losing a pet, no matter how small is always sad. We're all here for you and wish you luck with your other crabby endeavours.

3. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I could not even imagine how hard it must be to lose your very first hermit,especially such a sweet strawberry like Ichigo.I feel for ya!
    There will be lots of times when everything seems to go wrong,and it's so,so easy to blame yourself.I've thought about just getting my crabs adopted out to good homes and leaving this addiction behind so many times.I've had as many crabs live as I've had die,and it'd be easy to give up.But you know,I've kept Crash and Spider alive this long,so I must be doing SOMETHING right.It's important to focus on all the good things you've done,and all the things you're learning,instead of dwelling on your mistakes.I'm not one to talk really....I still feel like I was completely responsible for the two deaths I've had,but I just keep moving on and try harder to take care of the living crabs that need me most.I know Ichigo wil be missed,but she enjoyed her time with you,and that's a fact.[​IMG] These ten-legged creatures just have more to tug at your heartstrings with,it's not odd to miss em so much when they pass away.

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'm sorry about Ichigo. It's so hard to lose a crab that's just brimming with personality. If it makes you feel any better, my tank has fabulously stable temp and humidity, and I've seven Straws in the past year. I have only three left. Soaking in the saltwater is often a sign that a crab has some sort of irritation of the abdomen, so there may have been an issue other than environment.

As for your tank humidity, I bet either keeping your substrate damp, if you're not already, or covering more of the top of the tank would help. Or maybe your humidity is fine and your gauge is wrong. But anyhow -- sorry to give such a clinical response in the sympathy forum. If you want to explore the humidity problem further, just post about it in General Gossip, or PM me if you want. I just don't want you to go away from this feeling that it's all your fault. It may very well have been totally out of your control.

5. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

So sorry about your baby. I felt so guilty when Mover died. I just knew it was all my fault. And telling my 7yr old was bad. I'll be sending happy crabby thoughts your way!

6. squidflakes

squidflakes Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you everyone for your comments. Its nice to know that someone out there understands this strange attachment to decapods.

As for the humidity problems, I'll be adding more coconut substrate today, and probably some sponges. Hopefully Mr. Stalks will fare better than his tankmate.

7. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] I'm so sorry about your loss of Ichigo.
    I know what you mean about this strange attachment to decapods. There's just something about them!

Good luck with your humidity for Mr. Stalks.

8. hermit01

hermit01 Hi, I'm New Here!

I am so Sorry for the Loss of Ichigo. I completely understand the feeling of being resposible for your hermies passing. Ichigo is a good place and had a wonderful home with you.
    make the best of it and remember all the good things that Ichigo did.

Enjoy your new crab.

Sincerely
    Sondra

9. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Well, since I've added EE...half ee/half sand... I've had trouble with TOO MUCH humidity. But I guess if you have to choose, it's better to have too much than too little. My guys seem to be doing well?!

Seems to prevent mold it's best to use hot SALT water for the EE soaking. And then make sure you squeeze out every last drop you can. Mine LOVE digging in that stuff...tunnels everywhere!

Good Luck! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.