1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye, Romeo!!!

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by Hermies4Ever, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

After I got home from school, I went to take care of my hermlets, just like always, and found Romeo naked, and in the dish of water. His shell was right next to him and he was dead! My Dad told me that he had checked on Romeo that very morning and he had been alive. I am confused and very sad, please help!:(

2. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

I'm sorry =[ that's how i found my friend's crab, too. Sometimes things just happen.... one minute they're fine, then... gone =[ I'm sorry for your loss....

3. Hermies4Ever

Thank you for your sympathy and kind words. I'm afraid he might have drowned.

4. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

I am so sorry. :(

5. Hermies4Ever

Thank you!!!

6. xAizaOnigirix

maybe, but you never know. He could have been sick =/ If you're worried about drowning, this is what i did in my deeper water bowl- i placed a clam shell that fit right in the corner, so if a crab got stuck, they could climb on the shell at a convenient incline. If you don't have any, you could probably find them at any craft/art store, specialty store, sea store, etc. (see if you can find one with little ridges. i think it would help them climb) i can send you a picture of what mine looks like, if you'd like. Just an idea=/
    Good luck with your other crabs, and RIP Romeo!!:(

7. Hermies4Ever

I had a large rock in the water dish. They climbed on it, and used it to get out. I found Romeo naked and pale, submerged in the water dish. If that's how I found him, I guess that's how he died.

8. xAizaOnigirix

Maybe... maybe he was trying to get a drink to feel better if he was sick? Like cats eat grass when their stomach is upset =/ if he knew how to get out, it's hard to believe he drowned anyway, unless he got stuck or something...:(

9. Hermies4Ever

Why would he go naked???

10. xAizaOnigirix

well, like i said, this is the same situation i found my friend's crab in. Perhaps he knew he was about to die, and wanted to return his body to the water. :( Other animals, (cats again) may run away from home because they feel death so they run, looking for salvation i guess, safety, or a comfortable place to die. perhaps water is the ideal place for a hermie to die.

If he was dying, he knew he wouldn't need his shell. going back to the beginning, i guess...

11. Hermies4Ever

Thank you!!! You have been a great help, and I thank you for your advice!!!

12. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

It sounds like something was irritating his abdomen...either that or he had no energy. If a crab's abdomen gets irritated (mites, pine in the area, chemicals used in/near the tank, etc.), they tend to react by dropping their shells, presumably because they think on some level that the shell is causing the irritation.

If the crab didn't have enough energy to carry around the shell (illness, stress, not being fed the right foods being the usual suspects), they will drop it, but not because they want to...they're just too exhausted to carry it around.

Once the shell's off, the crabs will die much more quickly due to dehydration because it doesn't have its shell water on its abdomen, which could explain why he was in the water - trying to avoid the dehydration that was coming on.

13. xAizaOnigirix

no problem =] anytime!!

14. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Oh my gosh I am really sorry about your dead crab Alex.

15. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I'm so sorry! :( That's so sad! :( Sometimes they go naked in the saltwater bowl to die, because that's how they are born in the ocean. *Hugs* But now Romeo is playing in Hermie Heaven with Hermie and Felix!

16. Hermies4Ever

Guess what, peeps! I just remembered that I took out Romeo's old exoskeleton. Now I know why he died, and I know that it sounds like all the time I've spent on Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us was just a waste. I know it sounds like I haven't been listening to people telling me over and over not to take out my hermit crabs' old exoskeleton, but please don't yell at me, because that is not true. I know that it is my fault my poor Romeo died, but we learn from mistakes, don't we! And I know I will never make that mistake, again, for Romeo's and all my crabs' sakes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.