1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good stores in Houston area?

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by MoribundMaverick, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

I've been crabbing for about two years, and I still have yet to find a place that keeps their crabs in appropriate conditions.
    In fact, besides Petco, every store keeps them in this open plastic tub that little five year olds can stick their nasty hands into and play with the crabs... and there are usually about fifty to a 30 gallon tank, and all the sizes are all mixed together.
    I just lost my last crab and am really fed up, tired, and just plain sad.
    I love hermit crabs and would like to try again in a month or so, but there's just no way I can bring myself to get another crab that comes from such poor conditions- it's a gamble to see if they'll survive the first week!

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Check the Ma & Pa stores. You may need to do a google search or the phone book for exotic pets. It just maybe worth a drive to go to a small store.

And I know how frustrating it is to try to educate the store owners. There is a small pet store near me that keeps his hermit crabs in a tub on the floor. When I approached him on it he told me that he just doesn't have the room to give them a tank and the store has enough humidity for them. :(
    I have since decided not to go back to him as the crabs I bought from him never survive. I have one left from him that has dug down, hopefully to molt. I don't want to dig her up to check on her yet.

3. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

There are a few stores like that that I've found, but most of them just carry fish and birds. A lot of the stores sell hermit crab supplies, but no hermit crabs.
    I'm going to Galveston in April, and I may just wait until then- that should be enough time for me to recoup after my last hermit crab death, and I'm also sure they'll have plenty of hermit crabs there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.