1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Caribbean Vacation - COL (Chirping Out Loud).' started by cursedkid, Feb 2, 2006.

?

lot of people have gardens around my neighborhood(so bug problems),but pesticides someti

1. good

100.0%
  2. ok

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'd have to do research to know whether that's a good idea or not. How successful you'd be depends on how easy they are to keep and breed, and also how interesting they turn out to be as pets. I know that bug-keepers are often concerned stuff about keeping "live" terrariums, which is quite difficult. I don't know if you need to do that in order to be successful with insects, though.

So I'm holding my vote, as I don't feel qualified to answer. [​IMG] But is it an interesting idea? Definitely! Are you already keeping them as pets for yourself?

3. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I used to be real into mantises. I did a lot of research on them. Breeding them isn't too hard. The tricky part is keeping most of the babies that hatch alive (they eat each other). But if you're just selling eggs sacks, that shouldn't be a problem. An issue I foresee is that mantises often lay their sacks on walls and you can't move them afterwords. So, even if you provided sticks, you might end up with sacks that you can't sell b/c they're stuck to your habitat.

4. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Other concerns I thought of after I posted:

1) Females often eat the males (go girls!)

2) I'm guessing there are certain temperatures that are good/bad for the sacks, so you'd have to give clients an idea of what kind of light to have them located in

5. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

heh i thought itd b little trouble gotta feed female ALOT and where would i find another male after she eats him cause she eats head while mating, then she eats rest of body

6. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

here's a little tip...
    once my class had praying mantises (?) and the egg sac arrived but we just kept them in a kk on a stick...

7. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Unfotunately, there's no guarantee that the mantises would lay their egg sacs on sticks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.