1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Bye Whitey..

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by DsCrabs, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DsCrabs

DsCrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

We lost our favorite crab today so sad. He came up about 6 days ago from a molt, was doing fine the this morning he was naked in his food.. Came home to check on him at luch and he was dead.. So sad.. Wish I knew what went wrong.

2. DsCrabs

I fed the some marigolds, I thought marigolds are safe.. Thats the only thing new to tank.

3. DsCrabs

I figured out what killed my crab a few minutes ago wanted to warn everyone else. I had bought a very small ceramic bowl type thing. its kinna like one you'd put paste type dips or cavier in. Was using it for a food dish the night whitey died was the first night Ive use it. Tonight I watch another crab struggling to get out of it after a few minutes I moved the crab out and trashed the container.. whitey was naked the morning he died, his shell was in that stupid bowl. He died struggling to get out that bowl, had to ditch his shell just to make it out onto the sand the stress was to much.. Its my fault hes dead..No more glass or ceramic bowls for my tank only plastic hermit crab approved bowls..

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sigh, I'm sorry about the struggle of your crab. Don't beat yourself up though. We sometimes just never know if something will pose a problem until we use it. We can all relate.
    Usually things that are slippery are difficult for the Hermies to grab ahold of unless they are very shallow. Some people put in a fake plant or a rock, etc so they'll be able to get out easily.

I hope you're doing better about losing the little fella, and you have gotten another Hermie. :flower:

5. DsCrabs

ended up getting 2 strawberries.. But until I can get bigger tanks imma refrain from getting anymore crabs im a bit crowded now... Lets just say my crabs are getting alot of time out of tank when possible...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.