1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good brand of play sand?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by jsanqunetti, Sep 3, 2012.

1. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello everyone, I made some adjustments to my crabitat and food, etc to my 10 gallon tank after one of my crabs died most likey to PPS. I am wanting to get a new one, but want to get some feedback on play sand before I get a newbie.

Currently I have been using Quickrete play sand with a mixture of loose Eco Earth. Is this okay?

Thanks in advance!

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

As long as the bag says playsand it should be fine. Quickrete does have bags of "sand" which is not the same thing. I use to use the same thing and never had a problem with it. The only thing I didnt like was that if the molting pocket colapses it is so dense that they dont stand a chance.

3. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

What brand do you use now? I really need to find somethng that is fairly easy to find,, I did see this link http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Photomicrographs+of+Sands+%26+other+Substrates

which makes Quickrete play sand look aweful... I defininly don't want the cave collapse. my last crab surface molted, did fine, but bad choice of sand could of been the issue?

I just want to know what a good brand of play sand is good that I can mix EE with and that I can find fairly easy with out having to specail order it.

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

All I use is EE its light weight, easy to tunnel when kept moist, and if it colapses it is lighter and holds little air pockets for it to breath.for I have had great sucess with it for years now. I believe it increases survival for molts. But thats just me.