1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good and bad....

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by xAizaOnigirix, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

So i got up today and saw that my new girl, Katrinka, had already changed her shell! (she was in a painted shell, that looked like it was chipping) I checked the shell shop, she wasn't in any, and then of course the cocohut, and... she wasn't there. Then i remembered she loved to bury herself, and a saw a large tunnel-like opening.... Where my baby was molting! i freaked and went hunting for her, and ran into my molting baby! he's alive at least, but i accidentally dug him up again =[ I found the other though, under the food dish. My poor molter.... is he going to be okay? this isn't the first time i ran into him....

and i have a few random questions... Is it okay to cut up fruits and such and put them in the freezer until i want to use them?
    and will they eat cooked pasta if nothing has been added? i know man-made stuff isn't good, but i read somewhere that they like pasta...:confused:

2. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Quit digging up your crab, it's that simple. If you can't see them, assume they are buried.

Yes, you can freeze stuff to store it longer.

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Yes and yes. You can freeze fruits and hermit crabs will eat cooked spaghetti if it is given to them with no seasoning or salt.

4. xAizaOnigirix

Thanks! it helps a lot =]

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

You're welcome!!! Glad to help!!!

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yeah, I agree with Deedee - don't dig. Unless you're in the middle of a deep clean and are taking substrate out of the tank, don't dig in the sand. Even if your crab is missing. If you're afraid your crab has escaped, turn the lights off in your room as soon as it gets dark and have a piece of aluminum foil on the floor with a bowl of ocean water and some of their favorite food on the foil. That way you'll hear the crab if it's gotten out because it will come for the water and food. If you're unconvinced after the first night, repeat it for another night or two - crabs will come for the salt water to keep their shell water at the right salinity.

Also, I understand how hard it is to not search for your crabs in the tank, but don't go turning over hideys and such - if they're in the hidey, they expect it to stay dark while they sleep or do whatever they want to do. Every time you move the hidey it scares them and that stress can compound over time and kill them just like post purchase stress does.

If you want to offer noodles, organic only. But yes, mine really love their noodles for some reason; I don't offer them too often, though.

7. xAizaOnigirix

oh dear... i wish i knew about the hidey thing earlier:( they hardly leave it so i check in on them all the time...:(:(:(

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Unfortunately, the reason they never leave it is because you keep barging in on them. Think about it this way - would you leave your hidey if someone kept opening it up on you? It's a scary world, if hideys get moved, so why would you go out there if you didn't have to?

Leave the crabs alone for a few weeks if they're in the hidey, and they should start coming out a little more often.

9. xAizaOnigirix

oh wow... i can't beleive i didn't think of that... i'm sorry!:(
    Thank you so much, i promise i'll leave them alone more!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.