1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gonopores-Male or Female Crab?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Who, me? Or just in general?

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Notamallard,
    to sex my crabs, I just wait until they are doing something that causes them to climb on the glass so they are showing their underside, then I snap a picture. Each time I've been able to alook a crab was climbing on something against the glass and happened to turn the right way so I could see their underside as they tried to get a purchase on the glass with their little legs.

I really don't like teasing them to get them to come out, but we all have our preferences. If it works pretty quickly, I'm sure it's fine. I wouldn't harass a crab for too long trying to see though. :)

3. Melissa H.

Melissa H. Hi, I'm New Here!

Hmm....has anyone seen any gonopores that were back set from the legs? like, in a slightly different place.

4. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

melissa,
    I read recently in a scientific article that males can have gonopores, but they are extremely small and hard to see, while female gonopores are much more obvious. It may be they are like - nipples on humans! lol.

5. Laughs O Lot

Really!?!? Now I have no idea what the genders of my hermit crabs are! Ocean might be a boy for all I know! I saw gonopores but they were tiny and really hard to see. But the vagueness could be because she recently molted?

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I would say that if you saw gonopores, then it probably was a female, as the article stated they were VERY difficult to see.

7. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Actually, I just read somewhere that the gonopores of a male crab's on the fifth pair of legs. But I only saw that from one place so I don't know if it's true or not.

Oh yeah I checked today and I'm pretty sure Clinger's a boy. The way I do it is I hold them up with one hand and put my hand about an inch or so under them so they stretch to try and reach the other hand and I take a look under. It's kind of cruel, though. D:

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

its not cruel that is what I do- they dont die from this........:D

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

My crabs are really shy. I don't really care that I don't know if they are boys or girls for the sake of keeping their names.:eek: I don't want to be adding "a"s to the names if I find out they are girls.:eek: Most of my crab's names can go both way, thankfully.:)

10. leathaface

leathaface Hi, I'm New Here!

Since we can't breed them and both genders require the same amount of care, i'd prefer not knowing what sex my crabs are. I love the name Tinker and Zoidberg lol. :D

11. Laughs O Lot

I can't not know! I hate calling them "it's" and it's annoying to have to say she/he all the time! And then I don't know whether to say "pretty" or "handsome"! And imagine not knowing whether your child is a daughter or son! It doesn't change how I treat them or view them at all; I love all my hermit crabs equally no matter what the gender!

12. cococrisp

Oh. I just call them he or he/she. Shrug. It does not really matter to me. OK, Basically I call all my crabs he. I've called them "He/She" about 7 times so I had to include that but that's all.

13. Laughs O Lot

That's fair! :) I would just be kind of insulted it somebody called me a he, but I'm human (or at least part human~ MWAHAHAHA :D) and they're hermit crabs! They don't mind since they don't understand us! I wish I could speak to my hermit crabs and they could talk back! That would be so awesome!!! Somebody on here had a dream about that.

14. cococrisp

Really? On hermit crab addiction the is a sticky just for weird dreams! It's called " The official weird dream thread!" We should make one of those!:D

15. OneOnion

That would make keeping hermit crabs a lot easier- they could just tell you if they're hungry, if the humidity's too low, or if they're a boy or a girl so you don't have to look. :)

16. cococrisp

Yeah. You could ask them exactly what they wanted and everything would be perfect.:D They could tell you everything and it would make having a pet so much different. It would be like having a pet and to keep them in cages would be almost wrong.

17. Laughs O Lot

Oooh I really wish they could talk now! :( I could tell them how much I love them and teach them all sorts of things in human world and they could teach me all sorts of things about hermit crabs. I'm going to write a story from all of my hermit crabs points of view and my point of view so people learn about the proper care of hermit crabs, learn that hermit crabs are intelligent, wonderful creatures with feelings, and be entertained at the same time! (I'm going to become a writer when I grow up along with a teacher and zoologist and a lot of other stuff)

18. OneOnion

That's a great idea! In the beginning you should have them really scared and have them try to escape but as the story goes on they'll like you more and more. That's a great idea for a story!:)

19. Laughs O Lot

Thanks! :) I doubt it will be good, though!

20. Laughs O Lot

Great idea! There is but it's not an official one and it's not a sticky. This is the dream from it with the talking hermies:
    I dream about my hermit crabs quite frequentley as well! The last one I had we were all out hiking in the woods (weird, I know:rolleyes:). Anyway, the hermies were all piggy back riding on my shoulder and head, and the best part... they talked! It was great! We ended up camping by a slow moving stream, and the hermies loved climbing on all the branches and rocks in the water. They were even swimming and jumping around in the stream! They also ate s'mores with me! :p This sounds really retarted, but really, I wish I could have a real day like this. It was so much fun. When I woke up, it took me a couple of seconds to realize that it was really a dream. I can't even describe how disappointed I was! :( Ha Ha! It's bad enough the hermies are trying to take over our lives... now they want our dreams...dun dun duuuuuuuuuun. LOL!:D

http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum/sand-castle-lounge/4419-i-had-really-really-odd-dream-2.html

Wow, we just went totally off topic for the thousandth time!