1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by OneOnion, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Since about a week ago it seems like Deadly disappeared. Like, I can't find him. Anywhere. And then a few days after that Baby was gone, too. The only place that I think they're in now is the moss pit, and if they're in the moss pit they must've dug down because they aren't on the top of the moss pit. Should I search the moss pit to see if they're in there or will that bother them if they're possibly molting?I can't find them anywhere else.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Part of my weekly maintenance is fluffing up the moss in the pits. This allows me to check on the well-being of my crabs as well as the moisture. Sometimes the moss becomes packed down from all the crabby activity that goes on in there. Just move carefully and slowly and don't pick up the crabbies and you should be just fine.:)

3. OneOnion

Well, I found one of them. I decided to just pick up the whole moss pit and look under. Deadly was there, his legs spread way out. He was moving, so that's good. I never saw any gel limbs on him, so he can't be molting(He has no back left leg, that's how I knew it wasn't Baby) because I saw no gel limbs before he disappeared. Do you think he's stuck under there?I was moving around the moss pit last night also, and that might've messed up his escape hole or air hole or something... I still haven't seen Baby yet.

Also, I heard what I thought was chirping last night. It was deeper than I expected, like a cricket with a sore throat. It was pretty loud, but only for a few seconds. It could've been something else, but I'm not sure...

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Good job on finding Deadly! Is your tank light enough that you could look at the bottom? Once flamelet's hermit crab Giant disappeared for like a week and she thought she was cannibalized, but then she finally found her! Have they been showing any molt symptoms?

5. OneOnion

Well, I don't really know about Baby but Deadly's eyes were starting to turn into a 'V' shape not a '||' shape. And he was drinking a lot of salt water, too. The tank's probably 30-50 lbs. But there are no big lumps of sand that weren't there before so I don't think baby's under the sand.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

My moss does that. It gets all packed up into a ball. Then I think there is a crab there because it's so hard and don't want to move it until finally I rip it apart.:eek:

7. OneOnion

Good news and bad news. Good news is Baby came back. Bad news is Clinger's gone. Like, overnight one came back and the other one disappeared. But Deadly's still under the moss pit, and I don't think he's molting. He's moving a lot. I still think he's stuck under there. Do you think I should dig him out?

8. Mckenny

You could carefully move the moss and see what he's doing. If you don't think he's molting you could pick him up and check him out. He's probably making a little bed area for himself. They can drive you bonkers with their antics sometimes.:D

9. cococrisp

Leave him. My crabs disappear and reappear every night. I just let them decide when they like to come out.

10. OneOnion

Man, I really miss Deadly... it's been like more than 8 days since he's been under. He doesn't seem to be molting; I can see him if I take the moss pit out and look under it. He's faced upwards so I can only see the back of his shell. Maybe he is trying to get out? Can I just dig him up slowly just to be sure he's fine?

11. Mckenny

Is he buried under the substrate or the moss?

12. OneOnion

The moss. '

13. Mckenny

He could be molting. Has he been up to eat...can you tell?
    I would be very hesitant about bothering him. When they get ready to molt their body goes through a certain process having to do with a molting hormone. If this process is disturbed their molt preparation will be interrupted, thereby causing them deep stress.

But, another thing to check on is your temp and humidity. If your levels are off, he may be trying to adjust by burying.

To get the most accurate answer I would ask Vckums and/or Hermez.
    They'll be your best bet for help. :)

14. OneOnion

No, I'm pretty sure he has not been coming up to eat... That's the part that bothers me most. But he can eat the moss... Right? Reading what you said, Mckenny, I don't think I want to dig him up again, so I won't. It was just that when I looked at him he was facing upwards like he was trying to get out. My humidity and temp. levels are all correct.

15. cococrisp

Why would you think he's not molting. It sounds like the situation so far.

16. OneOnion

I can see part of his BP moving and if he's molting then he can't move right?

17. cococrisp

He can move when he molts. His exoskeleton can't move but his real claw can from what I know. Usually you can flash a mirror at them when they molt to make sure they are alive. If they move then they are OK.

18. OneOnion

Okay. Would he grow his gel limbs underground? I didn't see any before he went under.

19. cococrisp

Once he looses his exoskeleton and his limbs are soft he will eat his exoskeleton so his legs and new exoskeleton grow stronger. he will do this under ground unless he surface molts or something.

20. OneOnion

No, Deadly hasn't molted yet. He still has only 3 legs. He's been down there for
    2.5 weeks. He is moving. Hang on, I'll take a pic of the bottom of the moss pit.

Ok here they are But they're bright.

He's in his shell but he was out of his shell before and he only had 3 legs so he couldn't have molted
    [​IMG]

Since he was moving around, doesn't it mean he's not molting because when they molt he's temporarily paralyzed? (Buster is to the right, Deadly's to the left)
    [​IMG]

And this is Buster who just recently went down.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.