1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Ocean City MD

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Laughs O Lot, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

In a half an hour I'm going on vacation! :D :D Applebee32 (my bff) will be taking care of my hermies. See you in a week.
    Applebee32, I private messaged you what your supposed to do in case you have any questions. In case it didn't work....
    Everyday you must...

1. Fill the water bowls:
    First, take the rocks out of the water bowls. Then clean out the sand. Then put bottled water in both of the water bowls. Place the rocks back in. Last, sprinkle the amount of sea salt I showed you into of the water bowl. Place them back into the tank.

2. Check and Feed
    Check to see if any of the hermit crabs came up from their molt. Lift up the huts, check behind plants, ect. If you are sure nobody is there, you don't have to feed them.
    If Crusty came up, give him the food in the smaller packets for after somebody molts. Also, take out some of the toys in the 20gallon and put them in his tank (1 cocohut, 1 small log, one peice of choya wood, a couple of fake plants, three shells, and one shell for food; if the tank still looks boring after that you can put in some more stuff). Then, fill the smaller water bowls in Crusty's tank (the are red and green) with regular bottled water in one, and bottled water with some sea salt in the other. If at least a few days has passed and Crusty's exoskeleton has colpletely hardened, he is very active and regains his color, you may put him in the 20g and even play with him if you want. If anybody else came up check to see if they molted or not. Freshly molted crabs (hahaha) have sharp nails, are hairy, have perfectly black eyes, and are probably a different color. If they didin't molt give them the food for the day. If they did molt give them some of the molting food in the smaller packet. If you are unsure call me. The days after anybody comes up, continue putting in the food by the regular schedule on the days writted on the packets.

3. Monitor Humidity and temperature
    Make sure the temperature is between 72 degrees. and 80 degrees, and the humidity between 70% and 80% in both tanks. The humidity and tempurature is on the big digital thingy in Crusty's tank. The one for Crusty's tank is at the top, and says indoors. The one for the 20g is below it and says outdoors. For both, the tempurature is at the top and the humdity is below it. For example:
    Indoors (Crusty's tank)
    75* (tempurature
    75% (humidity)
    Outdoors (20g)
    77* (tempurature)
    76* (humidity)
    If the tempurature is under 72* put on the heating pad. If the tempurature is over 80* take the heating pad off and turn on the air conditioner.
    If the humidity is under 70% put the lid on. If this doesn't make it higher, cover a part of the lid to something. Soon after, check it again and make sure it didn't rise too high. If the humidity is over 80% take the lid off. Make sure it doesn't drop too low after this.
    Remember: The hydrometer is incorrect. Add 3% to the humidity it reads.

***NOTE*** DO NOT put the tank on the ground. Fido (the puppy) might get to it. Even if you think he won't, please put it back on the table anyway IMMEDIATELY. Fido could seriously harm my hermit crabs without meaning to.

Thank you so much for taking care of my hermies. If you have any questions call me on my parents cell phone. :) If anybody comes up, you could play with them after a couple of days as long as their exoskeleton is still hard.

If any of you peoples have anything else to tell Amber you can. I put the food in packets for everyday so it would be easy.

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Bye laugh! Have a nice vacation!

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Thanks CoolDoggy! :D I'm back apparently! It was so much fun! And guess what???? I got a new hermie named Buddy!

4. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

I glad you had fun! Congrats on your new crab! I'd love to see some pictures!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.