1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going through a First Molt

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by msdiamonddawg, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

My guy has been under now for 4 weeks. Any idea how much longer they usually take? He is just a bit bigger than a quarter...at least his shell is. I'm starting to get nervous, but trying not to be ... only because a little guy I had went under and after 10 weeks I found out he was dead! He was probably suffering PPS though, where I don't think this one is. He was with me a while before going under.

2. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

Hmmm it could take awhile. I have one crab that rarley shows his anntenae(sp*) around the tank. I would say dont worry unless you find that a fishy odor is in your tank. let him destress and he will begood as new soon.

3. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I have a crab that went down 2 days after i got him and he has only just come up. He was down for 3 months, i was stressing like you but now thats hes out and about hes full of energy. He runs and climbs around the tank all night long now.

4. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I wouldn't worry. Crabs go under for all kinds of reasons. I have large purple pinchers who go under for practice runs which can last two months, and when they cime up they still haven't mosted. So stay calm and have trust. Make sure the substrate is sufficiently moist and have food and water dishes available close to him in he needs to come up for a snack. Keep things quiet and don't make any sudden changs in the tank. Your crabbie knows what to do. If he's in a shell the size of a quarter he's molted before and has the routine down pat. Good luck. It's going to be okay.

5. msdiamonddawg

Thanks! I'll try to stay calm! LOL. I think molting is more stressful for me than him! Pinchers crossed he'll come up soon ... and healthy!

Would that "fishy smell" permeate through, even if he is buried to the bottom? I have about 5 inches or more on the one side where I believe he went down. I don't smell anything, but I wonder if you can? I guess eventually the smell would seep through. Good sign so far, if that's the case!

6. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I think I am going through the same predicament with Sebastion. He is buried in the ecoearth of the iso and has stopped eating. I don't want to dig him up but I smell my iso every day. I don't believe the smell would permeate through the substrate. I kind of wish you lived nearby. We could play Scrabble while we wait.

7. msdiamonddawg

LOL....yeah, we could be in for a long winter! My other two have now burrowed and I have no one to play with. :( My tank looks so empty!

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hang in there you two! Those crabbies will come up in no time! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.