1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the humidity up?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by crabbyfun, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbyfun

crabbyfun Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everyone! My husband and I are new hermie owners and I have a humidity question. The temp in their tank is 77.5 and the humidity is only 73%? How do I get the humidity up? Any suggestions? I have a sea sponge in a small water dish and they have another drinking fresh water dish and also a salt water dish. The substrate is as wet as I can get it without drowning the crabs and I'm misting every day. I also have most of the mesh cover top covered with plastic wrap.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help. :straw:

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Moss is my suggestion. Make a moss pit and it should help

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If there is no circulation in the tank then there is no way for the humidity to circulate throughout the tank. It is stagnant on the bottom of the tank.. But it is higher on the bottom of the tank so if your hygrometer is higher then ground level you might be getting a false reading.

4. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

It also depends where you live. I live in the south so extra humidity is my problem. But some suggestions would be a bubblier for the water dishes, or getting a waterfall. I actually liked the plastic on the mesh lid, because air circulated in the crabitat. I know have plexiglass but have had to deal with too much humidity. A good way to check the humidity in the house is get a barometer.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Perhaps you could drill some holes in your plexi glass in a uniform pattern so that you could open one, two or three etc. as you need to release some of the humidity in the tank. You could cover the holes individually and just open as many as you need.

I have glass tops on my 75 and I wanted a way to allow air circulation and to control my humidity without the chance of bugs getting in the tank.
    I took a large piece (bigger than the tank opening) of non metal screen and placed it on top of the tank.
    I folded the corners in the back to conform to the tank and placed a piece of tape on the screen to keep it together.
    I cut the screen in the front of the tank so I could open either of the glass tops and if need be, I use something to prop open the lid a bit to allow fresh air or release some humidity. :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.