1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Feeding Ques

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Crabtastic, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtastic

Crabtastic Hi, I'm New Here!

OK, I know this sounds so basic, but are you guys suggesting just getting wild gerens and fruits and veggies and simply feeding them fresh? Like I do with my tortoise? Do they need dried or mulched to a paste or anything? Should I *not* feed them the canned Hermit Crab food put out from Tetra? (I'd love to skip it, personlly, it smells awful and I think it's stinking up my living room, despite the cover.)

2. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

I give mine all kinds of fresh foods. Apples, and bananas seem to be favorites. I don't dry them or anything, just put a slice or two in there for them. I don't like the smell of commercial crab foods either, they're nasty smelling.

3. Crabtastic

Ty so much. That's clarified it for me. I love it - simple. :)

4. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Yes do try and feed them strictly fresh, washed green. Organic is the best for them because pesticides and such can kill them as for any store bought foods for your crabs its not healthy. Alot of the time they add by products and by products can kill crabs its not healthy for them. Even though you cant see immediate damage to them it will deteriorate there health slowly and eventually kill them. They also put some ingredients in them that addict the crabs so you will want to wean them off it over a period of a couple weeks or so. Just try mixing small amounts in with the crab food atfirst then slowly stop putting as much of the canned food in until you have them completly weaned off of it. I found a favorite of my crabs was romane lettuce crushed to a pulp with a small amount of water and sea salt mixed in i would make a table spoon of it when i made it it would be gone in less then 2 hours. If you have any other questions you can just ask me.

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I wouldn't wean them off...just get rid of it all together and start adding fresh foods. Believe me, if you throw a shrimp in there, or some fish, they'll forget all about their commercial canned food! :D

6. Crabtastic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.