1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G'day.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by SunburnSunshine, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunburnSunshine

SunburnSunshine Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi =].

Yep, as you've already guessed it, I'm new!! Haha. New to both this forum and crabbing. I purchased my three crabs on Easter Sunday after visiting a rello's place on Good Friday and falling in love with their crabs. I haven't sussed out the gender of my crabs yet, but I've named them Mephistophilis (or Mephi for short), Ceaser and Horatio :). I'm struggling a bit to keep the humidity levels up though. The temperature isn't a problem as it doesn't get cold where I live, but the humidity is driving me crazy. I think I need to get a sponge. They have two water bowls, one fresh and one salt water, a food dish of commercial hermit crab food and another dish of something I make up fresh for them each day. Unfortunately I don't have the most actively decorated crabitat at the moment (don't worry they still have things to climb, it's just not as exotic as I'd like), but it's a work in progress :rolleyes:.

Cheers.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Nice to meet you- WELCOME :D

3. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Welcome. Everyone here is very helpful, so if you need any advice just ask :)

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

:)Hi! Nice to meet you! Commercial food contains preservatives that are harmful to hermit crabs, so it would be better if you stopped using it. It also has an ingredient in it to attract hermit crabs to it so they eat it, whether they like it or not. If you don't stop feeding it to them entirely, they probably won't eat the fresh food that much. Vckums owns her own hermit crab site called Hermit Crab Addiction - Welcome To The Hermit Crab Addiction where she sells her own natural hermit crab food! It's an awesome website!

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Welcome! You mention you are struggling with the humidity. What kind of tank do you have, and what kind of lid do you have on it? What kind of substrate are you using and how deep is it?
    If you have a plastic tank, they are very difficult to keep humidity up in. If this is what you have, I'd highly recommend looking around for a glass tank. The lid can be a wire mesh lid that is used for reptile cages, or you can get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit and drill holes in it until there is enough air flow while still keeping the humidity at a good range. I myself have a mesh lid with some cardboard wrapped in cellophane, and I just move the cardboard to cover more or less depending on where the humidity is.

Answer the few questions I just asked and maybe we can help you out with some suggestions! :)

6. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

for my lid I went to my local hardward store and bought a piece of foam insulation board, in the insulation section. I cut it to the size and put a hole in it for the light to shine in (it is a heat light). I ductaped the lid and hole I made so nothing falls in. I then added some old metal curtain rods to have the light sit up off the lid, I ductaped the curtain rod to the lid so I don't have to remove them when I remove the lid. It really keeps the humidity in and I can lift it as needed. With the curtain rod holding the light off I also get my air circulation that is needed. I have a picture of it posted under the bio of the tanks section.

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome, yu can find answers to any questions here:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.