1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frothing/ill hermie

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by littlealec, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlealec

littlealec Hi, I'm New Here!

Sebastian was running around on Wed. Thursday he became lethargic and lost a leg. Friday he started hanging half out of his shell and today we noticed his eyes have white stuff on them and he is foaming...............HELP.
    Shelly, his tank mate is doing fine. They live in a 10 gal aquarium with sand, H2O, food, shells, etc.

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Is Sebastian fairly new? It sounds like he has PPS, or Post Purchase Stress. All you can really do for him is maintain good tank conditions and give him peace and quiet. It's probably best to keep the temp and humidity on the high end of the range (closer to 80 degrees and 80 percent respectively). Covering the tank might help too, especially if it's in a high-traffic area of your house.

If you think that Shelly might bother him, you could move him to an isolation tank. But otherwise, I'd just leave him where he is. Moving him would add stress.

Anecdotally, foaming is a symptom of overheating, which may have happened before you got Sebastian. There could possibly be other reasons foaming could occur, though. If you've had him for a while and have a UTH or other heat source for your tank, you might want to check and make sure it hasn't gotten too hot.

I wish you and Sebastian luck! I hope that he's able to recover.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, Sebastian passed away last night. When I checked the tank this am he was out of his shell and Shelly had already nabbed his shell. Morie, thanks for the reply. We have had the crabs for several weeks. Shelly has been "bold" right from the start, but Sebastian was the nervous type. Despite trying to read up on Hermies before I purchased them for my girls, nothing was mentioned about stress. Now I know. We will surely get a replacement for Sebastian (or maybe a couple).
    I now know to match their sizes better too. Shelly is tiny compared to Sebastian.
    As far as the tank, I have a heater on one end so they can get as close or as far from it as they want. I have the tank covered with a lid that has foil on it so it holds in humidity. The stupid plastic wrap wouldn't stay on. I am glad I found this site. Happy crabbing everyone. [​IMG]

4. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

littlealec,

So sorry that Sebastian passed away. [​IMG]
    For those of us that are new to crabbing, I
    learned about PPS with the loss of a hermie,too.

I was given advice at HCRU about trying a piece of plexiglass cut to just the right size for the tank cover, leaving enough open space for proper ventilation. I think mine is about 75% covered with the plexiglass. This has helped my humidity and I can still see in the tank from the top. I tried the saran wrap, but like this much better. Press 'n Seal was also suggested.

HCRU is a wonderful site.
    Welcome. [​IMG]

cj [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.