1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh foods

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by nancy, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Even while we have a complete diet from Vicki's store, I still like the idea of fixing my own crab cuisine. Nothing fancy, and I've made sure that they receive a balanced diet. I've been worried about pesticides. I buy my foods from the grocery store, Sometimes I saute them, sometimes I serve them raw. Am I hurting my crabs in the long run? Please let me know what you all think.:confused:

2. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

pesticides should jut wash off like with crabs there bad for humans so you should always wash your fruits and veggies wether it be for your crabs or yourself.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Nancy, I think what you are doing for your crabs is great. I buy a lot of fresh foods and veggies also, and I think we can only do so much when it comes to that. Just remember, they are scavengers. Who knows what the heck they pick up and eat on the beaches. I think what we offer them through our homes and with such love and care is much better than anything they pick up out there!

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I agree, you are doing great for them. It's obvious you care deeply for these guys and by makign sure they have fresh safe foods daily and supplementing it with dried foods, it's inspiring for other crabbers! Keep doing what you're doing, it's working!

5. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

The only thing that I might question is cooking foods in a pan for them. If at all possible I would use a plain stainless steel pan instead of one that has teflon or another non stick coating. If a teflon pan overheats the fumes given off are fatal to birds. Maybe try baking something in a small glass dish thats oven safe?

6. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Thank you all for your feedback. I don't know if it's the way I feed them, but I have never had a naked crab, or a surface molt. No bullying or shell fights. I think diet may be them most important aspect to raising them. I've taken a head-on approach to feeding them and read everything I could get my hands of about a hermit crabs diet. It works for me. Maybe this would be a good approach for others, too. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.