1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeze drying

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by JessieMarie, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessieMarie

JessieMarie "Never Molted"

I just found out my mom has a freeze drier. I was wondering if this is a good way to preserve food and still keep a good ammount of nutrients? Or does it take out a lot of nutrients?

2. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

a TON of the foods that are sold for hermit crabs (that are good for them (AKA. NOT commercial food)) are freeze dried, so I'm pretty sure it's fine.

3. JessieMarie

Okay, I thought so, just making double sure XD. Do I have to cut everything up super small like if I was just plain drying them? Or is it okay to leave most stuff as is?

4. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

That, I have no idea about (since I do not own a freeze drier). You can do a search for "freeze drying" and see what comes up (or do related searches). That's what I usually do!

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I would just follow the commercial directions for the freeze dryer. YOu can always cut it up in smaller pieces when it's done. I find that freeze dreid products tend to break into bits easily. I have some freeze dreid asparagus and it is easy to break up.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I wish I had a freeze dryer. How much did your Mom pay for hers? I have just a dehydrator. I need to win the lotto.

7. JessieMarie

I have no idea. Its probably pretty old, and it was actually my step dad's. Seeing as we didn't use it (who would normaly use one? :p) my mom gave it to my older sister, and I doubt she uses it. So hopefully she still has it and I can snatch it up!

8. krackersmom2

Here's and idea....my crabs love red bell pepper....it's dehydrated I think....it came from Vckums, so she could probably verify that.
    I'm thinking that meats and shrimp and best freeze dried....proteins.
    I have some powdered egg that I believe is freeze dried.
    I am envious....hmmmm I think I'll make a Freecycle posting!!:D

9. JessieMarie

I already have a bunch of stuff planned out XD I'm so excited, I hope my sister still has it! I'm thinking baby shrimp and some fish to make a little protiene blend with my other favorite tool - the coffee grinder! And some fruits and veggies for just plain and to mix into dry food to make it more appealing.

10. krackersmom2

Okay....I already had one smart alec response to my dehydrator post on Freecycle....someone wrote me and said, "I hate to tell you this, but you can do the same thing in the oven." Well NO DUH! :cool: I just am not keen of running the oven for that long...and waiting around while it is on.

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

Im not sure how a freeze dryer works, but I will pass on a bit of info about the dehydrator. If you are doing anything with a strong odor(peppers, fish, shrimp etc) find a place outside to do this. LOL The bell peppers smelled good at first, then the smell got stronger and stronger...lol And the fish, ugh. So when I do those items, I put them on my patio table in my backyard. It's right by my kitchen window and I can keep an eye on it.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

I just though of another way if you don't want to use the oven or have a dehydrator. Sun dry the items. I did tomatoes and pumpkin slices that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.