1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeze dried foods

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by hermie 5, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I have a question about the freeze dried foods, do you put it in water
    or just give to to the crabs as is? There is not much of a smell to it so wondered if the crabs would be attracted to it.:confused:

2. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

I've wondered the same thing. I've tired feeding my crabs freeze dried blood worms before, but they really don't seem interested. They'll skip those for other things that I feed that day.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can soak in dechlor water or add the dried foods to a wet meal

4. hermie 5

Thanks for the advice and thanks for the order!!! I loved all of the little extras it was like hermie x-mas!!! Is the tiny sand dollar calcium? What ever it is, the crabs seem to like it, its always in a new spot.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome! Yes the bisquit is a great source of calcium for them. Glad they like it!

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Cool!! I was wondering the same thing about the sanddollar!! Isn't Vckums store just awesome??!!! I LOVE ordering from her! She is very generous with the samples!! I really appreciate it because then I know what to order next time!!!

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

:)My crabs are enjoying all the samples I got in my prize package from Vicki (vckums). I'm trying out the coconut oil and red palm oil tonight. I was wondering about the pasta and dried beans.....do those things need to be moist?...could I use the oils to moisten them? They love the smelly mysis shrimp....the first anchovie I put in lost his head pretty quick. I'm having a great time experimenting......they absolutely love the worm castings!

8. hermie 5

My crabs also LOVE the worm castings, its almost like they roll in it like a dog. It is everywhere!!!

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can crush the pasta and beans and soak them in some oil or dechlorinated water to soften them.

I like the coconut oil. It smells soooo good. When I do some dry foods I will heat up some and mix it into the foods. It tends to draw the crabs out of hiding.

LOL Speaking of anchovy, I put in 2 of the really big ones I got. I went in the next morning and I saw the bowl empty. I was like YEAH! Then I look around the tank to see what crabs are out, what do I find half burried in the sand? An Anchovy. It's butt end was sticking up out of the sand. Sigh.....Thats gonna leave a smell. LOL

10. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I'll sometimes add coconut oil or cod liver oil to attract them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.