1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freedom Walking in the Street

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by flamelet, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

I would like to introduce Freedom. My student brought him in this morning (hence the bucket in the picture).

Freedom was found in my student's neighborhood by her father. Apparently the little guy was just wlking down the street back toward a ditch where he was probably living!!:eek:

I have supplied unpainted shells and and fixing up an ISO tank now... The irgnorance and arrogance of some people to allow their pet to not only live in inadequate conditions, but then to release them? In the street? Not near any of the beautiful Florida beaches near by? *sigh* We will give him all the love a PP could want.

~flamelet~

Attached Files:

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow. Poor guy. I sort of wish I found them around the street but am glad the poor little guys are not dumped where I live. I hope he does well. Do you live really far from the beaches with hermit crabs?

3. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

Land hermit crabs can be found on the school campus I teach at. We're right on the waters of an intercoastal waterway which connects to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. I've seen them at other beach parks and wildlife reserves also.

I encourage my students through education not to take any crab home from the wild. I know they are harvested from the beaches and sold in stores, but I try to promote adoption. Our wetlands (mangroves, marshes, and salt/freshwater areas) are fragile ecosystems. Such impact like that of harvesting wildlife on the ecosystems is seen very quickly... and with very bad results. I also encourage them to study such animals more deeply to discover ways of captive breeding so that our ecosystems can rebuild while the demand for these lovable guys has another supplier. I know I'm such a teacher!;)

Good news, though. Freedom just changed shells 3 times! I placed 5 other shells in with him and I guess he's trying them all on. lol :)

I will keep you all apprised of his progress!

~flamelet~

4. cococrisp

How do you know she was not wild?

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

It looks like his/her shell was painted in the picture so unless he/she found a painted shell in the wild it's probably not wild.

6. cococrisp

Oh yeah. Duh. Silly me.:eek: Why would someone ever dump that poor guy on the street???

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow...what luck for Freedom. It's wonderful he has such a loving and caring home now. :)

8. cococrisp

Yes, I know you will take GREAT care of her, Flametlet!:D

9. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! :D

Freedom is living up to his name; he's quite the escape artist and not at all shy! I'm surprised no one else picked him up or that he didn't become prey for an osprey or gull. Those birds are all over this place!

He's endured so much stress, to be still so vivacious is amazing to me. He hasn't even chirped once. I just hope that our migration from the classroom to my home is not too upsetting for him and my molters. They're in ISO tanks as I was anticipating the move this close to the end of the school year... fingers crossed.

Thank you all again,
    ~flamelet~

10. cococrisp

I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. My fingers are crossed.;)

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Wow! What an amazing story! It was so lucky that your student found Freedom! It's like you two were destined to be together! :D It's so horrible that somebody would dump their hermit crab onto the street. :(
    Tell Freedom I said hi!

12. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Wow. Living in a ditch. Did you check him for mites yet?

13. cococrisp

You should give him a bath. Poor little guy. It's a miracle some hawk did not make a lunch out of him.

14. Laughs O Lot

It's so amazing how friendly he is, too! You would think after being treated so badly by the previous owner he wouldn't like people very much.

15. cococrisp

Yeah. I don't really think they can register that like dogs and cats though.:eek: I don't know. Crabs are actually pretty smart.:D

16. Laughs O Lot

I don't know either. They are pretty smart! Some people don't understand that hermit crabs are intelligent creatures with different personalities! When I was telling a girl from school how nice my hermit crabs are, she asked, "How can you tell?"!!!

How is Freedom doing?

17. cococrisp

"How can you tell???" You should tell her to get hermit crabs and find out!:D

18. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

Freedom is very clean now, I can assure you all. I did bathe him and he changed shells twice in the water (I put some clean shells in there so they can get out of the water and not freak out too much as a prebath intro to the bowl I bathe them in). I still have him in ISO, though. Monitoring his eating, behavior, and general things to make sure he's healthy. :) Everything is going well so far. One week down... ;)

~flamelet~

19. Laughs O Lot

Awesome! :D I'm so happy for Freedom! What a miracle hermie! Wow. I never heard of changing shells in the water. It seems funny to me!

20. cococrisp

Awesome! Skippy can go out of ISO tomorrow!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.