1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Four Paws Humidity indicator

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by tb1234, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

I think either I am doing something wrong or its broken...... how do you read it? There is a line there that says to read it at the color that matches here, but that color is white. And the pink part.......when I got it out of the package, it ranged from white on one end, pink in the middle and blue on the right. I know my hum. is greater than zero. I had to wipe off the glass to take a pic![​IMG]

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I can't see a line at all! I've never seen a gauge like that, and I'm not sure how accurate to expect it would be. I'm also not sure how you'd calibrate it if it was not accurate.

Since maintaining correct temp and humidity is one of the most important things you can do, I'd reccomend getting either a digital (I like this one: http://www.petdiscounters.com/product.php?productid=1092002&cat=277&page=1
    or getting analog gauges that can be calibrated. Considering your crabs may die if conditions aren't what you think they are, a good gauge is a good investment.

3. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Well there are two other guages in there, you can see the bottom of one in the pic. They are the more dial face type. Never calibrated it though. Ever since putting in the UTH, I can hardly see in there. I wipe the inside front glass once a day to get all the water off. And that wasn't the case before the UTH, so I am just assuming I'm okay there.....and the addition of the UTH is only a positive too right? LOL I will save up my monies though for the digital one. Will have to scope out sales and auctions.

4. moire_eel

Duh, I didn't even see the analog one. If your glass is fogging up, there's probably plenty of huidity, but it's still a good idea to know if your humidity gauge reads higher or lower than it should. They can be as much as 15 to 20 percent off in either direction! Here's a link to how to do it: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Sto...reen=howto_calibrate
    You'll have to remove it from the tank to do the calibration, but your crabs will pull it off the wall sooner or later anyhow! [​IMG]

5. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Will it go back up okay? I did try to move it down lower and as I was pulling it off, the backing was separating so I figured it was a one time application shot.

6. moire_eel

Probably not ... but it'll come unstuck eventually when your crabs discover that it's good to climb on. I use a suction cup (attached with a rubber band) to hold up my digital one -- you could probably use aquarium sealant to attach a suction cup to an analog one.

7. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Aha!! Good idea! Thanks !!! [​IMG]

8. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

PLEASE check your analog humidity gauge for accuracy ASAP. That looks/sounds like WAY too much humidity. I found my new gauge to be off and I think it was the reason my last molter didn't make it.

9. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Okies! Got it going now. Thanks!

10. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Okay, I think my humidity indicator was waaay wrong. I check it last at 60%. But...I had it on the backsplash part of the oven, and it was nice and warm from dinner being cooked. Would that affect it at all?

Just rechecked and its at 66. But I am not yet to 6 hours in. I don't think. LOL

11. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Well, according to my post times, it has been 6 hours. LOL So I guess that its 8 % low? Is that right?

12. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

If you followed the directions carefully, and the gauge is reading 60%, your gauge is 15% off. The "60" should be "75". So, since 75% is a median humidity reading for crabs, you need to either recalibrate your gauge, if possible, or remember that your tank should read 60% +/- a couple degrees.

13. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Well, when I woke up this morning, it was at 70. So who knows. I'll just save up for the digi one. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.