1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Four Dead from Wal-Mart SIGN PETITION

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Boots Mom, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boots Mom

Boots Mom Hi, I'm New Here!

I purchased four different hermies from Wal-Mart within the last week and a half. All of them died within a day or two. The last one I purchased lived three days. One of them I brought home and he dropped a leg and died by morning. The one I purchased from the mall is doing wonderful and is very outgoing. I am thinking that the ones from Wal-Mart were extremely stressed. They were all in the little cups with gravel, water in the bottom and nothing else!! Anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

edited to add SIGN PETITION to title

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Boots Mom,
    I am terribly sorry to hear about your little crabs. There has been quite a bit of controversy about Wal-Mart selling "crab in a cup" on many of the forums. There is a petition you can sign to protest the sale of the crabs...I will find the link and post it in a few minutes.

Judging from your post, they are obviously still doing it...very sad indeed.

Here is a link to the thread...
    http://hermitcrabsrus.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7040088072/m/9830084303/p/1

LOL-I forgot to add the link...sorry!

and here is a link to the petition
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?crabacup

3. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Hi Wendy I also locked in the general forum. Just can not believe the conditions these crabs are kept in.

Eric

4. Coach Bob

Coach Bob Hi, I'm New Here!

This is not surprising. Before we began crabbing (at a mall cart!), we had fish from Wal-Mart and they all died quickly. I'm thinking about turn the fish aquariun into a crabitat.

5. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I recieved one of the crab in a cups as a gift about two months ago, and unless it passed since its been down molting its still doing alright. Granted the person that got it for me said that they picked one that was moving about and had all of its limbs. It was a tiny pp that was in a dyed green babylonia spirata, and within two days it changed shells, and about a week or two after that it buried under the substrate. Hopefully the little guy is alright.

6. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Well I just wanted to update everyone, The little PP finally came up from molting last night and is doing fine [​IMG]

7. Boots Mom

Boots Mom Hi, I'm New Here!

I just went into Wal-Mart again today and there were probably 20 of them in cups. There was several little tiny ones and one of them had already drowned in the water at the bottom of the cup. It was too much!! I complained about it! I wanted to buy them all and bring them home but just couldn't afford it. I did buy four. I just had to save some. I don't want to condone them selling them but I also didn't want to leave them there to die! Also, if you ever purchase one there, make sure they do not swipe it across the magnetic strip on their cash registers because it will kill them! I got to thinking tonight that if that kills them, I wonder if the things at the doors would. So far the little guys are loving their new home. Wal-Mart needs to move them all to a real home or quit selling them!

8. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

It's dumb for any store that doesn't have the word "pet" in it to be selling animals,especially ones that need so much special care,like hermit crabs.

9. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

I hate walmart!Maybe if we boycott crabinacups.I never saw a crbainacup yet.How much are these crabs,anyway.They're probably expensive.I signed the petition lots a times!!!

10. LdyPebSaby

LdyPebSaby Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, I've NEVER liked WalMart to start with, but after I heard of what they're doing to Hermit crabs, let's just say I'm VERY angry with them That is NO way to treat Hermit crabs, or animals in general... I've already signed the petition... it's a good thing I don't go there though, I'm not sure how I'll react if I actually saw one of those, 'crabs in a cup' that just inhumane... hey where's PETA when you need them???

11. hermit_crabs_rule

maybe if we give 'em caresheets.I have e-mailed walmartnewsletter and no reply.Maybe they just ignored me.Is walmartnewsletter@walmart.com a walmart e-mail address(To contact the workers,etc.)I'm goign to make a forum called Crab in A cup Haters.

12. hermit_crabs_rule

13. hermit_crabs_rule

I feel liek freaking out on their heads!!!

14. hermit_crabs_rule

15. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] i hate wal-mart, i'm boycotting!!! In fact, I can create a web page opposing crabinacup or anyanimalinacup (except bettas, who surprisingly don't need much space to be happy, however the workers at wal mart should at least get some training or caresheets or even a feeding schedule so that the bettas will survive untill they get adopted!)

16. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Actually, bettas need atleast one gal tank, a lot of people think they don't need a lot of space, just like hermit crabs, but they do need space, they enjoy 2 gal I think.I've had many bettas and if they live in tiny plaes they hardly like to move.

17. cluelesscrabber

Hmm...i guess that's true; My betta was in a small (but not the teeny weeny bowls they have them in @ the pet store) kritter-keeper tank and he was soooooo happy!

18. cluelesscrabber

i really wish wal-mart would get at LEAST a 10 gal. with an inch of sand, some food and water, and all the crabs together there. At least there not in a 3-inch cup with gravel and water.

The cups are only OK for putting the crabbies in to take them home if they get adopted.

19. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Yeah, Clueless crabber lol! (What's your name instead of clueeless crabber, because that sounds mean!)

20. cluelesscrabber

u can call me laura [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.