1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fountains and dividers and heaters, Oh My!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by lovelylivelycrabs, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

If you didn't get the title, it's a Wizard of Oz reference (Lions and tigers and bears, Oh my!)
    Just thought I'd explain that for those of you who didn't draw the connection :rolleyes:

So to make a fountain, I basically put a plexiglass divider in, fill with lots of rocks, put a pump in (submerged? Are there kinds that don't have to be?), put the tubing in, pile rocks around it so it's pretty, and turn it on to make sure it works... right? Am I missing any steps or can anyone offer any advice?

I was thinking for my 90 gallon I'd put in two plexiglass dividers, one on each end, and put fountains (1 salt, 1 fresh) (can anyone tell me if saltwater works in a fountain? If it doesn't, I'll rearrange my tank or maybe just nix the fountain and make it a pool with a bubbler) So can anyone tell me how to make a plexiglass divider? I know it involves aquarium sealant, right? How much does a sheet of plexi run and how thick does it need to be?

And if I have pools on either side, should I side mount the UTH in the middle? I don't know where else I'd put it, or maybe just use heat lamps?

Is it okay if I put nets over the water if I completely cover it with net so they can't fall? (Like, the width of the tank over the water)

it's a 90 gallon long, and it's 48x18x25...

I'm going to use aquarium decorations, hemp nets, and fake vines. Is it okay to put the air pump in the tank if I have a bubbler, provided it's covered with rocks so the crabs can't get at it? I also found what they call a "basking platform" that's like a ramp, a flat part, and another ramp. I was thinking I could put the food on it? Is it okay to make 3 levels if the crabs can get to each one? Do you think suction cup soap dishes with moss and hemp ladders leading up with vines and such is okay? Or should I use 3m adhesive?

Do I need the heat lamp if I have a uth? Would that get too hot if I used a desert UTH (the hotter ones) but used a thermostat? How do you set something that will turn on/off the bubbler/fountain when the humidity gets too high? I thought there was something that could gauge the humidity and turn off stuff if it gets too humid...

Late night rambling is fun, but I'd better get to bed... :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading my ridiculously long post :eek:

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

You have a good sense of humor, Lovelylivelycrabs! That's what I like about you!

3. lovelylivelycrabs

Haha, thanks. Did you notice my post was made at 12:30AM? That adds to the delirium of HCRU ;)

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

OK there was alot of questions up there so bare with me if I miss one lol
    First of all I got the reference ;)
    secondly I am not sure how a salt water fountain would do, I think the salt would crystallize and cause problems in the pump unless it was specially made for salt water aquariums.
    I think that the water needs to be at the same end of the tank, you cant put the UTH in the middle because the crabs need a cool side and a warm side so they can decide where they want to hang out.
    Just an FYI some crabs won't go near moving water, mine wont I tried an air stone and my crabs wouldnt even go near the pool.
    For a fountain you need more than a pump, you need a filer to recycle the water back to the top of the rocks.

5. lovelylivelycrabs

Ah! Muchas Gracias! (that's all middle school spanish class taught me haha) I would think that would most likely be the case with the salt water, I may just offer some ziploc containers of water at the end of the tank, those fountains seem like a real pain in the neck. I really want some sort of water feature though, makes for an interesting tank, ya know?
    A filter? I thought that just went in the pump? I honestly couldn't tell you though, I'm definitely no expert on fountains ;)
    If it's a really long tank (think 4 feet long) could the heater in the middle work, if it's over to one side? I don't know if I'll do it, just wanted to know.

And now my heart feels like it's going to explode. I had WAYYYYY too much caffeine and now I feel like I'm having a panic attack. (Parents won't help, "I told you so", they think I'm just being moody. Bah! Curse this bipolar!!) :(

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

No, I did not. But it looks like you're an early riser!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.