1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found a 40 gallon tank!!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by gweebles, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

We have a new PetSmart opening down here that is causing some competition with the local Petstore, so I found a 40 gallon breeder tank for $79, It even had the sliding lid on it. I of course snapped it up, my guys were sharing a 20 gallon tank. It is amazing how much space I have to decorate now. Of course the little weirdos spent the whole night trashing the crabitat, digging and exploring. When I turned on their light this morning, I was greeted by 14 very active and curious crabbies. I think they like the new arrangement.

2. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]Wow! What a great price!! What a nice
    surprise for your hermies! How could you pass it up?!?

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

That's awesome ... many people consider the 40B the ideal hermit crab tank. [​IMG]

4. gweebles

I think the Breeder tanks look lower and wider than the standard tank. Of course, right now the tank looks empty, everyone is underground redigging their tunnels. I will post pics as soon as I finish decorating the tank. I have SOOOO much room left.

5. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

What exactly does everyone mean by "breeder" tank? I saw a "reptile" tank that was wider bottomed (kinda like me [​IMG] but it was a lot more expensive. I have been having dreams of custom designed tanks...is that normal for a new addict??

6. moire_eel

"Breeder" tanks are ones with more floor space relative to height. Here's the tank size chart I refer to: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/tipsandtables/l/bltanksize.htm

I think I have heard that a 50B exists, too, but it's not on the standard size list.

I would love to have a 125 gallon tank ... SIX feet of crab happiness! But I don't know where it'd fit, and anyhow I promised my husband when I got the 75 that that's the biggest it'd get. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten it!

7. gweebles

OOOHHH I'd have LOVED a 75 gallon tank, but the 40 is the biggest my dresser would hold.

8. rottiegirl25

rottiegirl25 Hi, I'm New Here!

I actually used to have a 50 breeder but sadly it got broke :'( .
    I currently have a 40 breeder and a 30breeder. they are the same as far as floor space but the 30 is shorter hieght wise. I use the 30 for my russian tortosies. i think the 40 is a great tank for hermies i hope to ge an even bigger setup onday and makeit an as anturla enviroment as possible. though my mom bulks at this idea and says there is no room in the house for another tank or cage or pet lol
    our current standing is biggest to smallest
    55gal tropical fish tank
    40 gal breeder
    30 gal breeder
    30 gal oscar tank
    30 gal Mlai uromastyx tank
    20 gal baby turtle tank
    10 gal feeder goldfish tank
    1 gal betta tank
    2 gallon betta tank
    1 parrot cage
    1 huge bunny cage
    6 dogs
    i am planning on buying 2 50 gallon tanks and a double stand for the lizard and the oscar but they are both still babies right now so i have a little while. and once our baby turtles are big enough they will live in our pond during the summer and winter in large rubbermaid tubs
    i also want to setup a saltwater tank too. lol my mom is going to kill me one of these days lol.

9. pineapplemama

WOW Rottie, you are much more the animal mommy than I! My son would flip if he went to a house with all those neat critters! His "Kid in a candy store look" is evil sometimes!

You would not believe the crazy tanks that have popped into my head! I mean crazy! Lord if my hubby realized the depth of this addiction he would probably be panicking!

Do they make "frames" so you can custom make your own tank? Seems like it would be simple enough if you could figure out how to brace the planes of glass/plexi long enough for the aquarium sealant to dry?

Just curious? I guess the tank I saw was a breeder then. It was cool, but they wanted like $120 for it when a regular 50 gallon was much much cheaper. Seems like if you could manage it, then you could make the exact tank you wanted for cheaper? But what do I know?

Thanks for sharing guys, I can't say it enough I LOVE THIS SITE!!

10. rottiegirl25

rottiegirl25 Hi, I'm New Here!

I looked into building my own tanks. But when it got right down too it the cost was more then the cost of a regulear tank. I picked up my last 40gal breeder up at pets supplies plus it was on sale for 79.00 in fact the sale is on for the rest of this month.

11. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Pineapple, I looked into it also.. My original intention was to buy a terrarium- something like this oneorthis one and make it into a crabitat, but they are expensive, they would need to be adapted to make them crab safe (all of them stated that they were not for use with critters as they could excape) and they were never clear how much space was on the bottom for substrate.. any way since the only ones I could find were online and I was unsure if I could ever make it crab-safe I decided to go with a 40B and a nice wood stand & cap. I love my set up now, and I am glad I went with more floor space, but if I ever see a terrarium in person that looks suitable I may just give it a shot! Whatever you do, don't forget to post pictures!

12. hermitcrab2005

hermitcrab2005 Hi, I'm New Here!

Cool. I'm trying to save up for a 40 breeder

13. gweebles

Rottiegirl, you sound like me!! I have 14 hermit crabs, 8 cats (one inside only, rest on my roof), a 2 legged hedgehog, 3 wild skunks, guinea pig, 2 gallon betta tank, pleco fish, attack bunny, 1 raccoon and half ownership of my neighbor's rotweiler who thinks he's half cat. If I get any more pets, I need a bigger house.

14. moire_eel

15. pineapplemama

HOLY HERA! NOW THAT IS A TANK!

Okay Moire I got the specs for the tank that my sis in law has...she's only 5ft so this was huge to her...

36" x 11" x 13"...supposedly he was using a tape measure, but I don't see anything on that tank chart that would fit these numbers? I'm guessing it's a 30g...which would still be an upgrade from my 20...whatcha think??

16. moire_eel

Those are kind of odd dimensions ... almost like it was built to fit on a bookshelf or something. It's almost like two 10 gallons -- which are 20" x 10" x 12" end to end. I detest math, so I am not going to try to figure it out, but it sounds more like 20 gallons than 30 to me. But of course there is nothing wrong with having two 20 gallon tanks, lol. But then again I have 9 tanks (1 2-gallon, 1 3-gallon, 2 six-gallon, 2 10-gallon, 1 20-gallon and 2 75-gallon) under my care, so don't listen to me, I am insane. LOL.

17. pineapplemama

You're not insane...You make me feel better that I'm not the only one...

...we can't be crazy if we are having identical delusions right?!!? "No Doc, I swear she talks to the crabbies too"

Hopefully I'll get my hands on that tank soon...getting antsy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.