1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those who feed the Crabbies 'Bugs'

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Joey Oh, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Crazy thought warning!!!!!

So here is my delima... I purchased some Blaptica Dubia (basically mild mannered tropical roaches) for my Tarantula's. In order to get a variety of sizes of roaches, I needed to add heat and get them breeding. Originally I had hoped to sell them to other people in the area for food for their spiders and herps. Well, it seems that my only customers are needing the smaller roaches, which in turn leaves me with a huge amount of larger roaches.

I've been trying to find a way to thin down my population. I had this thought... If I were to kill the roaches (which is simple, they must be maintained at warmer temps or the will die, so a little time in the freezer would probably do them in as humanely as possible) and then put their bodies in a food dehydrator.

A) Is that a suitable way to preserve the nutrients?
    B) It would increase the shelf life. no?
    C) They could be chopped/powdered and fed to the crabbies.

If anyone thinks that this is an idea worthy of persuing let me know. I could take care of the freezing/dehydrating part and maybe Vicki would be interested in selling them in her store? I do not feed any sort of commercial diet, so they should be safe for the crabs to eat.

I have not tried to give my crabs a killed roach... so I'm not certain they would like it, but if anyone feels it is worth a try let me know.

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

I would think that the dehydrator would work to support the nutrients, and also to preserve them. I figure if you can dehydrate chicken, and it preserves well, cockroaches should be the same way. I have bought dried mealworms, shrimp, etc., and all seem to preserve very well. :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.