1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by HatterasCrabs, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterasCrabs

HatterasCrabs "Never Molted"

Ok, I'm new at this and need some things spelled out for me...I have read lots of things about feeding and not using the commercial food. So if I give them different fruits and veggies everyday (along with eggs, egg shells and peanut butter) they will be fine? And why not Jiff (i think I read that some where)
    I have no idea where to get most of the things listed in these recipes, ie. irish moss powder, krill oil capsule, mangrove meal, and worm thingy's (can't remember the name).....and do they have to have all those powders/meals/oils?
    I have read they like smelly things but I do not like seafood or the smell of it. :eek:
    I guess I want to know what I need to put in the dish that will meet their complete nutrional needs.

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

i have 2 Normal item recipe on my site ill be posting more soon

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Petco, Petsmart, Local mom and pop pet stores will have krill, fish etc. Grocery stores will also carry some items.

You can go to Ebay, or other online stores to get the items.

You mentioned you want to meet their complete nutritional needs, then you have to feed them things you may not like(seafood) to achieve this. They need proteins, veggies, fruits, oils etc.
    Feel free to check out the EH site for food ideas.
    www.epicurean-hermit.com

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Assuming your location is correct, just go to Nature's Goodness Health Center. It pretty much has everything you'd ever need.

5. HatterasCrabs

HatterasCrabs "Never Molted"

Thanks Vicki. Yes, I do want to meet their nutrional needs and will do the seafood thing although it smells terrible to me. LOL! I just didn't know if they needed a meat, meal, and oil everyday. Also wasn't sure where to get some of the things for example seaweed..haha!
    Do you leave food out all day or just put it out at night? I have been leaving it all day but no one is ever awake to eat it. I'm a stay at home mom for the most part and am home all day many days.
    Thanks for your help. I don't mind making them things at all, just want to make sure I give them what they need daily so I can skip the commerical food.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome! Seaweeds can be found at the petstores, they will be in a sheet form. I leave dry food in 24/7. Fresh food at night and then take it out in the morning.

I've got a webstore, you can click the link in my sig.

Toss out the commercial, it's not good at all. I'm upgrading the safe food list and breaking it down into catagories to make it easier.

7. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

Ya i feed them a variety of veggies fruits and meats. In fact i just got done chopping up some homegrown green beans and am boiling them now. I'll put some in their tank with maybe some tomaoto or apple and maybe sprinkle a little big of cuttle bone on there. the rest i'm going to freeze for in the winter I have more than enough lol xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.