1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kissmeimgone, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

I put food in my crabs dish and it looks like water has somehow or another gotten on it..And btw, my crab I believe could be going thru a molt atm..So Idk..He ate most of the rice puff chunks I put out a day or two ago..Any suggestions?

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

He seems fine. I don't really see the problem but I really stink at deciphering abreviations and stuff so I really don't know half the words. So if you could tell me what they are than that would be great and I'd be happy to help you.

3. kissmeimgone

btw- by the way
    idk- i dont know
    atm- at the moment

But hes a regular purple pincher..so I dont know..

4. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

what is the question?

5. kissmeimgone

i dont remember... sry lol

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Kissme, what else are you feeding your hermies? Food should be changed out every 24 hours, as food left too long in that warm, moist environment can attract pests. Worst thing to get is mites, they are a major pain to get rid of and can cause your hermies enough stress they lose legs.
    If it looks like water gets into the food dish, just change it out.
    your hermies should be getting a wide variety of foods to eat, and those should be rotated out regularly. Here's a good website to learn the hermie food groups and what they need most:
    Hermit Crab Cuisine

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Maybe he started eating right after he came from the water bowl! Lol. Do you mean that the rice puffs were still there from a day or two ago? Like crabbyjo said, you should change the food once a day. Bugs might come and eat the food if you leave it in for a while. Hermit crabs don't like to eat food they already tasted 24 hours ago, anyways, so you should always give them a variety.

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Um, just wondering about the mites crabbyjo... Should I bath my hermits to get the mites out as well as all the stuff when I do a big clean? I usually just do the stuff.:confused:
    Thanks

9. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Coco - are you saying your crabs have mites?
    Getting rid of them is pretty intensive. Bathing, changing substrate daily, boiling the dishes and hidey huts.

10. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i think she is just askng in case it happens

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Hopefully you never get mites, they really are a pain.
    If you end up with mites, you need to have the stress coat to put in the water. I've read that recently they've found that the stresscoat really isn't needed for bathing, but in the case of mites, you should use it.

Then you have to replace substrate and boil tank decorations and dishes each day, bathe the hermies, and give them fresh substrate, and do this for several days, then in about a week you need to do it again, just in case there were nymphs (baby mites) that hatched and weren't killed before.

Since cleaning the tank decorations is a pain, it's easier if you use some plastic hidey's instead of cocohuts and such to make it easier. I just took a plastic plant pot, cut a door in it, and put it in upside down. They all three hang out in it. :) they also have a plastic log to hide in.

When I got these hermies, she had found mites, but bathed and changed substrates for a couple days, but I'm not sure she did a thorough job. We bathed them when she brought them to my house, saw no signs of mites. I bathed them a second day, and one went down to molt, so I couldn't change the substrate any more. So I decided not to bathe any more as they were already under a lot of stress with the move to my house and the mites, and it really looked like there were no more mites, so I watched carefully for a week or so and saw no mites.

Unfortunately, three weeks after they came, I found the mites. Since I couldn't do anything with the molter, I moved the other three to another iso, planning to do the bathing, but decided that with the molter I needed something that would help him too, so I bought the predatory mites. They are in the tanks now, and I believe I see less of the regular mites in the tank that was infested. I think it will take quite a while for them to kill the other mites off.
    My molter is still down, and when I changed his salt water bowl (he's right under it) he startled so I know he's still alive. :) I feel bad disturbing him, I am going to make a new salt water dish and set it somewhere else and leave the dish alone that is on top of him. He's a large PP, so may be down for quite a while. he's only been down about 3 weeks, maybe less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.