1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Separation

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Laughs O Lot, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I heard that some people use two food dishes, one for dry food and one for fresh food. Soo I wanted to see if you need more than two food dishes if you have baby food or honey or something like that and then yaou want to give them some fruit too. Do you have to have separate food dishs for baby food and fruit and then dried food too? Do hermit crabs mind when food like that mixes?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

You don't have to, but fresh food usually is taken out the next day where as dry food can stay in longer. Easier to take out a bowl then pick through the dish. Honey and babyfood could be put into a half clam shell to make it easier.

3. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i dont do that but i make 2 different piles in one dish

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yeah. If you want, mix it up but if they seem picky then you can put them in separate piles. I just dump it all in the dish and they decide what they like and stuff.
    I've been watching this 100 gallon tank on craigslist... Oh no there I go. My parent will kill me before I get one of those monsters...:( Sigh " how will I get it up the stairs" "How will I get it in the house" "How will I fit it in the car"...

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

hehe poor coco :)

I used to mix the food in one dish, just place it all separately but in one dish.
    Now I have a separate dish for dry food for the very reason of not having to take it out and change each day. I am fortunate enough to have a large tank though, and I have two tiny dishes for my 10 gal. iso.

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Is it okay to use a shell for a food dish?

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

That's what I use. Just make sure you wash it well every time you change it, you don't want to leave anything behind that can grow bacteria. :)

8. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i have a question vicki. do you feed your hermies the food you sell at your store? or do you use fresh foos because your food isnt like food you wash so i am just wondering! :)

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

I do feed them the foods I sell, usually my crabs are the "testers" of new items I find. They do get fresh foods as well.

10. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I use 1 dish and try to seperate it usually gets mixed anyways but they still eat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.