1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fogged up crabitat

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by sirenequidanse, Mar 20, 2012.

1. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

Hi all , just got my 29 gallon done. and with my plexiglass lid. looks like I need a lighthouse for my crabs to see in there. does this always happen. My crabs aren't complaining though, only 2 in there but they have been very active with all the room to spare. flipping new shells around and trashing the place. I have 2 molters in my old tank, can't wait to put them in the new tank too. :spunky: :hermez2: 

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I've never had mine fog but it has rained in my tank. Must be really humid in yours?

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It is condensation. Its from no air flow in the tank. Is there any open space in your lid?

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've found that you'll have a problem with the humidity right after a deep clean or a new tank set up.  As Trixie said it's condensation from the wet substrate and it's important that fresh air can get in.  To help get the right conditions you can prop your lid open or open it all the way for ten to twenty minutes, keeping an eye on the temperature in the tank.
    That's how I regulate the humidity on those occasions when it's acting up.  I use a soda cap or a small shell to prop open the lid until it gets stable inside the tank.
    Never completely seal your tank so no air gets in.  It's important that some fresh air enters and freshens the air inside but not so much that it affects the balanced conditions inside.

Sigh...the things we do for our little cwabbies.  :chuckle:

5. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

ok, sounds great. you guys are the best! :hula: