1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

foaming?!?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by cpcmember2000, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpcmember2000

cpcmember2000 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, I gave all 6 of the crabs a bath int he sink tonight in luuke warm shallow water as I have done a couple times since I got them a week ago. Tonight i noticed that after they went back in their cages the one was sluggish and was actually foaming around it's mouth. Now, I know it isn't rabies.... but I am afraid I am going to wake up to find a dead crab in the morning. A couple of the others seem sluggish now as well, but were active in the sink. I know it wasn't too much water.... I used to work in a pet store and took care of hermit crabs there. What could I have done wrong to make them sluggish after a bath that was only like 10 minutes tops? Any info will be greatly appreciated and I will post again in the morning to let you know how they are doing then...

2. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Hm, did you leave them under water for Ten Minutes? Did you use or dechloronate the water you used to bath them? Also you say you used your sink, is it a sink that gets a lot of traffic and has chemicals in it like toothpaste, etc, etc. Hermit Crabs are sensitive the the smallest amount of chemicals. I recommend getting them there own tub, just for them. Please let us know how they are doing. I hope we can help.

Cappa [​IMG]

3. cpcmember2000

cpcmember2000 Hi, I'm New Here!

They seem to be okay this morning... they're all kind of dug down in the sand. It's the bathroom sink I used, but I always scrub it with hot water before using it really well. I kept the water low enough that only like 1/2 their shell was covered so they could walk around and not have problems, and had their sponges in the water so they could climb out if they wanted to. The one that was foaming was crawling all over my hand this morning... maybe I shouldn't have gotten him out of his happy place, but I had to make sure he was okay. I know they were moving around last night because I smoothed the sand out and they have it all dug up again. I'll give them a couple days of quiet time and see how they go from there.

4. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

As Cappa mentioned, Hermit Crabs are Very sensitive to any kind of chemicals. Toothpaste, mouthwash, and hand soap are among some of the things used in a bathroom sink, as well as cleaners used to clean these things out. I do not think that Hot water would get out some of these chemicals. I also agree with Cappa that you should get a tub for your Crabs, and only for them. We personally use a plastic bucket (sand-bucket from the shore) Fill it with distilled water, and a drop or two of stress coat.

I'm glad to see your crabs are doing better, but still recommend the above. Also, when you do bathe them, it is okay for their shell to be completely emerged, but not for ten minutes. Place your crabs in the water, with the shell opening side up, so the shell fills with water, and they will turn themselves over and crawl around. Take them out after about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

One more question:
    Is your bathroom sink porcelain or metallic?

5. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Foaming is a relatively newly identified phenomenon that very little is known about. Brown liquid from the crabs shell may be diarrhea. But foaming from the gills is generally thought to be due to dehydration, or perhaps in this case as Cappa suggested, some sort of gill cleaning mechanism due to a chemical exposure. I would be interested to see how your crab is, please re post.
    Also I agree with the Admins, that crabs should be given a bath in a container. The sink could have contained a chemical cleaner you did not even know was there. Also, you didnt say what kind of water you used or what dechlorinator.. I would also like to know that. Are they all still dug in??

6. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Just putting my 2 cents worth in on this but i agree deffinatly get a bath bowl of there own and yup only bath them for a sec or 2 then place in another container to dry befour placing them back in the main tank. I think foaming at the mouth is a way to better clean the gills and also if there was some sort of iratation from any type of chemical also one other thing if you just got your hermies a week ago i sure wouldnt be bathing them so much and less handling they need time to destress..

7. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I know this thread has been dormant a long time, but I remember reading somewhere that foaming around the mouthparts is a sign of overheating. Anyone else read this? I cant remember where I read that information at.

8. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

My impression isn't necessarily that it's overheating, but too rapid a temperature shift to the warm. For instance, if you got a crab from a cold cage in winter and set it in a tank with 80 + degrees, it would probably foam.

I haven't switched watts out on my lamps yet, and yesterday my main tank got up to 90 degrees with no deleterious effects -- but I NEVER let the humidity go below 75% when I'm letting it get that hot in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.