1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flying Squirrels in my birdhouses!LOL!

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by LilHermieOnes, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

We have 3 birdhouses that we built, two of them are now occupied by cute flying squirrels! :wub:

Here is what their nests look like~
    [img width=375 height=500]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_2985.jpg?t=1242265173[/img]

Here is one squirrel, we named him Chester~
    [img width=375 height=500]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_1133.jpg?t=1242265253[/img]

Here is the other one that we just saw today~
    [img width=375 height=500]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_1197.jpg?t=1242265361[/img]

Aren't they cute!?! :biglaugh:

2. tara

tara "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

:eek:mg: :biglaugh:

AAAUUGHHHH!! You just made me squeal out loud!! OMG they are so darn KEWT.

Can I come over and play? =)
    I'll bring lots of pecans!

3. LilHermieOnes

Sure you can! I put some corn and sunflower seeds on top of the houses earlier today for them...they are pretty small, they could fit in your hand pretty easily :wub:

Chester has been living there for a couple of months now, but the other one just showed up...so I guess we won't have any birds in the houses this year :biglaugh:

We do have 7 bird nests in our trees this year though :hermez2: Unfortunate for me is that two of the nests are in the tree right outside my bedroom window, so they keep me awake tweeting almost all night long! :hermez:

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

They are sooo adorable. I know you're thrilled!

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

they dont get scared and or mad when your all up in their business like that?

6. LilHermieOnes

I wasn't up in their bussiness :no: I used the 12x zoom on my camera to get the close-up pics :muahaha:

I had the houses open, so I could clean out the old bird nests from last year, since there are so many nesting birds in my trees, I figured maybe someone would move into the houses, but there was all that fluffy stuff on top of the regular nest, so I took a pic and was going to remove the nest, because it looked empty, but something moved, then a cute little furry face was looking at me :biglaugh:

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Awww more pics!! We just got regular squirrels here.

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Where do you live that you have flying squirrels??? So cute!

9. LilHermieOnes

I'm in Panama City Florida :sunny: Most of the people in our neighborhood are retired old people, so its pretty quiet around here and we have a good sized fenced in backyard, so our backyard creatures are pretty safe.

I posted a couple of pics of one of the squirrels sitting on top of his house eatting the sunflower seeds that I put up there...they will come out and sit there waiting for me to feed them now :wub:

http://heathertopia.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/flying-squirrels/

10. emmac350

Wow, I'm only like...2 hours from you, tops! I didn't realize that Florida had flying squirrels...it makes me wonder if SE Alabama might as well...that'd be awesome!

11. LilHermieOnes

Only 2 hours? Thats cool! You live close enough that you could come down for lunch or dinner sometime. I have had people travel down here with their entire family for a day or two from a couple of home schooling forums that I'm on and from a childrens liver forum that I use to be on...I haven't met anyone from here yet.

I would think that you would have flying squirrels in your area as well...since they are nocturnal, you probably have some living somewhere close to you, you just don't see them...we didn't know that we had any around here until last year when 2 of them got in our attic! We set up a live trap and caught them, then let them go...we watched as they ran up the tree that hangs over the north side of our house and saw that they had a nest up there.

12. emmac350

Wow, that's insane. I live in an apartment complex so I don't exactly have a yard of my own...there is a small set of woods behind us that could have them in, I suppose. And yeah, we occasionally (not lately...the schedule just got really insane) head down there to PCB or Destin for a Saturday afternoon. My "honeymoon" (we'll do a bigger trip later...this was just to destress after the wedding) was actually 3 days spent in Destin. The beaches are better in Destin, but the shells are WAY better at PCB (we found SO many shells the first time we went...last September after Fay and all the other hurricanes came through - we have 3 shadow boxes full and bunches left over that I decorate the crab tank with!). That is cool we live so close - I'm actually adopting some hermies that live 4 hours away from me here in a few weeks (July 5!!!). She lives in Atlanta, and we're meeting in Columbus, GA.

^_^

13. LilHermieOnes

We live like 40 minutes away from Mexico Beach and PCB...but we don't go to the beaches anymore, my daughter can't go because of health reason. When we use to go, we would go to Mexico Beach most of the time, its less crowded, or it use to be anyway.

For our 'honeymoon', me and my hubby went to the Pensacola zoo!LOL!! We had just put most all of our money on buying our house, so we were broke...he asked where I would like to go that was cheap, all I could think of was a zoo...so we went for the day, then went out to eat before driving back home and falling asleep...romantic huh? :hahahaha:

14. emmac350

Hey - if you had fun, that's what counts. The highlight of my honeymoon was going to the Gulfarium. It was my first time seeing dolphins in real life. I've seen tons of pictures, but I've never seen one for real. My husband surprised me by taking me there just so I could see it.

Not to sound silly, but the dolphins were so cool I almost cried. Seriously...they were amazing.

15. LilHermieOnes

Dolphins are really cool! Once, me and the husband(before we were married) went on one of those gambling cruise boats...we saw 5 dolphins just jumping around playing right around the side of the boat! I would never go on one of those things again! Everyone inside the boat was throwing up! Plus I almost got caught being under age, the only fun we had was watching the dolphins.

We go to Gulfworld a couple times a year...they have a free day sometimes, so if my daughter isn't too tired feeling, then we go for that too. We are actually studying Swimming Creatures this year for our science, so we are hoping to go again soon. I would really love to go to Seaworld! :hermez2: But we just have too much going on right now for a vacation :sad5:

16. emmac350

I hear you there...vacation will have to wait for a good long while for now. Neverending schooling for now. Oh well, at least it's fun (if boring sometimes and totally frustrating at others).

Do you home school your daughter? If so, good for you...I was home schooled 1st through 6th grades (went to K, then went back when we moved to a better school system at the start of 7th). It's a great way to keep them interested in science/math type things, not just the latest fads...those bug me to no end.

I'm going to go to Sea World at some point...the husband has promised. Probably will be the next time we go visit his family in Texas as his mom loves going to Sea World and the zoo.

17. LilHermieOnes

Yes, we home school :sunny: My daughter has never been to regular school. I started home schooling her in K and this next school year we will be doing 5th grade curriculum. I'm planning on home schooling her through graduation. You are so right about keeping an interest in science and math! We do the immersion approach for science and study one topic for half or the whole year depending on how many experiments, lessons, and field trips we take. We will be doing Land Animals next, then Astronomy, Botany, Anatomy...from there we will see what she really excels in and is interested in and start a middle school/high school level. There is just so many things to choose from...LOL! I also love being able to pick what suits my daughters learning style and if she is in 4th grade but on a higher level in a subject, then I can just buy her the next level of curriculum for that subject. We love home schooling! :hermez2:

We are planning on going to see the USS Alabama Battleship soon...have you been there yet? Me and my daughter have never been on a battleship, I've seen them up close before but not actually walked on board, so this will be fun for us :sunny:

18. emmac350

No, I haven't seen it. Where is the ship? I think one of the coolest things close to me for touristy-doings is the Fort Rucker aviation museum. They have a complete history of Army Aviation from the civil war balloon corps through UAVs, with models of the Wright Brothers' plane, WWI and WWII fighter planes, and real versions of Sikorsky's first couple of helicopters (well, they have a BUNCH of helicopters, obviously) ever made back in 1945-ish, even the actual Army 1 helicopter used to transport helicopters up through Eisenhower. It's pretty interesting if you're into that sort of stuff.

Yeah, home schooling is awesome for moving on when you get something. It ensured that I didn't move on past a subject (say, multiplying or dividing fractions) until I actually understood it. Heck, I was working out of a high school statistics book back in 5th grade on a project my dad created for us to work on. I was ahead of my grade level once I went back to public school the entire time I was in high school. :) I guess I'm just a little smarty-pants. :) We used the A Beka curriculum - it was a fairly fast-paced one designed very well for home schooling, at least with my family.

I'd love to home school any kids I end up having, but my husband doesn't want me to. He wants to put our kids into the school system for the socialization (which I somehow got - apparently girl scouts and a handful of other clubs/summer camps aren't enough?) and for the chance to play music in a group setting (band/orchestra). He's promised me that we can supplement the school work and force any kids we have to do more to ensure that they end up being smartypants like the two of us were. :lies1:

19. LilHermieOnes

Here is the link for the battleship~ http://www.ussalabama.com/index.php

We go to the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola sometimes...its really cool too! Here is their link~ http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/ We'll have to look into going to the Fort Rucker aviation museum...I so wish we had museums in PC, but we don't have much of anything here. We do have some nice state parks that we are going to try to visit in the fall.

We use a mixture of curriculums...Saxon math, Bob Jones English/Reading, Apologia science, ACSI spelling, SOTW history, Lifepac art, we also do lapbooks and notebooking, and if there is anything she is interested in that she wants to study then we study it too. :hula:

When we first decided to home school, we got the socialization questions, but now they all see all the stuff we do that regular schooled kids don't get to do...we get to go out for field trips when ever we want, lunches, pizza parties, movie days, all kinds of fun stuff with groups of other families. We haven't been able to do much of anything this past year with our home school group, my daughter's health hasn't been good enough, so we go out as a family on the days she feels well, but we still have other families over to our house for dinner and stuff like that.

We like being a smartypants :hermez: LOL! At my daughters home school evaluation last year, we were doing 3rd grade curriculum, she was reading on a 7th grade level already :sunny: She is above grade level on most all of her other subjects as well. I'm curious to see how well she will do on her next eval in September.

20. emmac350

I'll have to check out that museum at some point - I have some friends who live down in Destin so maybe next time we head down to visit, we can stop by that museum. Looks fun!

Yeah, the lack of museums kind of kills stuff - when I was homeschooled, we had a historical society in our town that had a park of Cherokee burial mounds (with displays of artifacts they'd found) and they had a history museum too - old pictures of the area, an old working spinning wheel, butter churns, looms, etc. Our area had a community theater program too - we were in just about every play with a kid part (they had a summer theater camp for kids, plus we were in Annie and South Pacific and A Christmas Carol and such). We also had a mineral museum - it sounds really nerdy, but it was really fun. They had a "Junior Rockhounds Club" for kids - we'd get door prizes when we'd attend stuff (nothing expensive, but I do have a massive collection of Prehnite, a dinosaur bone, petrified wood, etc.) and they had some really cool activities - we made a wire and polished stone tree on a base of a slice of a geode, for instance. They also had a really cool 'cave' with rocks that glowed under black light - which was always fun with your t-shirts and teeth, too. :)

My favorite part about homeschooling, looking back, was probably the fact that during our lunch break, I would have a chance to sew - I absolutely LOVE sewing and learned when I was 3 and my sister went off to kindergarten; my mom taught me so I'd have something to do other than bug her, haha. I would cross-stitch presents for my sister or just to do it; I found I have really never had the time to do it like I did then, with a 2 hour break that I could just work on that. Granted, my projects now are a lot bigger (working on quilting a queen-sized quilt right now, actually) but it still was awesome. I loved artsy type stuff.

Oh, and your daughter's reading level sounds about equal to how I was - I learned to read when I was 3 and my sister was learning to read in kindergarten. I couldn't let her beat me! So I had to get special permission when I was in kindergarten to take out some of the 5th grade books from the school library. That's the beauty of home schooling - when you understand it, you can go ahead and move on; you don't have to wait for every other kid to get it too. I remember other kids cheating off of my tests back in kindergarten - I would put the wrong answers and then a minute before it was due, go ahead and put the real answers down. I was so mean, haha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.